cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The most useless gadget you have ever bought?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

The most useless gadget you have ever bought?

You know, when you get that moment, and think yes i could really do with one of those, then you find after using it a few times, it gets put to the back of the cupboard  (or retuned) never to been seen again.
For me recently,was a soup maker, the idea of throwing everything in the jug and having great soup in 20 mins sounded wonderful.
The reality , a pain to clean, chunky bits in smooth soup, and the worst bit hot liquid coming out the spout , when it was whizzing up the contents. Cheesy
Regards
Mike
Mike
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: The most useless gadget you have ever bought?

A pair of left-handed scissors by mistake (I'm right-handed). They are useless, honest!
TORPC
Grafter

You mean useful gadgets that only get used until the novelty wears off
I thought you meant something like these
[quote= http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/top-10-most-useless-gadgets-6915661]1. Sinclair C5 – the one person electric tricycle designed to revolutionise commuter travel but simply became an object of ridicule
2. Rabbit mobiles – the location-specific telephone service that promised mobile capability but failed to deliver, bagging just 10,000 customers
3. Betamax video – widely considered as superior tech to VHS but lacked the marketing prowess to beat its rival
4. MiniDisc – developed by Sony to supersede the digital cassette tape but quickly replaced by recordable CDs
5. Laserdisc – failed home video format replaced by DVDs
6. Sega Game Gear – the 8-bit handheld console that couldn’t compete with Nintendo’s GameBoy
7. The Squarial – the BSB square-shaped rival to the Sky dish
8. E-mailer telephone – the Alan Sugar Amstrad-made office ‘superphone’
9. Pizza scissors – completely unnecessary spatula/scissor combination to cut a slice of pizza
10. DAT – the digital audio tape – another Sony home recording invention and the precursor to the doomed MiniDisc
nanotm
Pro

no8 got revamped into a working device by cisco systems as a videophone /email/sms all in one desk phone my boss loved the one on his desk Smiley
I think the worst device of the type you refer is probably a jack lelane juicer, its fantastic at making juice and if I fruit farm it might even be worth having but it takes an extraordinary amount of money to make fresh juice for the family each day so it's been in the back of the cupboard for about 5 years (yes it was a late night tv shopping advert impulsive purchase induced by some heavy medication .....)  just incase we win the lottery and can afford to use it Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Quote from: TORPC
You mean useful gadgets that only get used until the novelty wears off
I thought you meant something like these
<snip>

I'd agree with all of those except DAT.  Used loads! Smiley
Fixes: 125

I bought a steamer for cooking veg a few years ago as I like the crispiness and flavours it produces but SWMBO doesn't like it so it's been sitting on the side waiting to be listed on eBay.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Thunderclap
Grafter

USB powered Christmas tree
USB Desk fan
USB Vacuum cleaner
Yep, a lot of USB **** mainly from Poundshops!!!
But on reflection THE most USLESS gadget ever has to be a battery powered coffee frothing whisk. For that capucino experience.
Switch it on and it blows the coffee out of the cup! Not good.
nanotm
Pro

oO we got given one of those years ago and the only use we found was mixing the baby milk when making up the bottles each evening Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A pair of circlip pliers, ( with interchangeable heads for internal and external circlips)..... Thought I might need them,..... over 20 years ago.... still in the original packaging. hanging on a nail in the shed !...
A set of circular hole cutting blades..... again.... thought I might need them..... again... over 20 years ago.... not in the packing now, as it rotted away !.....
An Electric soldering kit in a box.... with a 150Watt and 25 Watt iron...... use the 25Watt quite a lot.....  found out there was a time limit of about 20 seconds usage on the 150Watt, so it is completely useless for doing big heavy soldering jobs !...
A circular polarising lens for a camera...... tried it out, did not see any difference with or without,... so back in the pack.... !  10 years ago... still not got a use for it....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: shutter
A pair of circlip pliers, ( with interchangeable heads for internal and external circlips)..... Thought I might need them,..... over 20 years ago.... still in the original packaging. hanging on a nail in the shed !...

Yeah i got a pair of those.. i've actually used them several times but they do now live in their packet once more and have done for the last 3 or so years since i last used them.
Pop riveter. Thought I'd use it loads but oddly I never have. It now resides in a tool box in the shed buried under tons of junk. Same as my mains powered drill too. For years I needed one as my cordless just wasn't going to cut the mustard and as soon as I got one, it's been used once or twice and ended up abandoned in the boot of the spare car and hasn't been used for years  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

One of these devices....

I've never used it as I've found car batteries and associated car charging systems to be more reliable and effective.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

What is it? Like a multimeter?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

a garage full of stuff , even a carburettor gasket set, gunson carb balancer to match twin carbs and a whole range of other tools many only used once such as a hub puller.
At my age it's easier and possibly cheaper to take it to the garage.
Other stuff includes a Internet radio, hardly used and tons of cables and transformers which I am unlikely to use again.
I have so much stuff and combined with a poor memory it's not unknown for me to buy something I have already got.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: AndyH
What is it? Like a multimeter?

It puts a heavy load on a battery and the meter is marked Good or Bad.
There are other markings but basically that's it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

So it's a device for flattening the battery!  Grin