cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The law doesn't discriminate. Does it?

Devonian
Grafter

The law doesn't discriminate. Does it?

How can we all behave equally when it is quite obvious some are more equal than others?
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Advice-respectful-treatment-Muslims-arrested/story-20089919-de...
24 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: The law doesn't discriminate. Does it?

The bottom line here is that no matter what religion, race or gender we should all respect each other & be treated equally in custody. I have no issue with the above as long as it applies to ALL faiths.
Community Veteran

Indeed - all prisoners should be treated equally.
According to the news, the murder of Milly Dowler converted to Islam as they had more breaks during the day
[QUOTE=Wikipedia]On 3 August 2011, it was reported that Bellfield had suffered facial cuts and bruising in an attack by a fellow prisoner in September 2010, and would be claiming compensation of up to £30,000 from the Prison Service.[26] Three months later it was reported that Bellfield had converted to Islam; sources at Wakefield Prison claimed they "are convinced Bellfield is doing this for better meals and a cushier life" and "He has the right to pray five times a day so it gives him a break". A tabloid has obtained suggestive accounts from prisoners that this was to avoid retribution from jailed Islamic extremists.[27]
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

prisoners should all be locked up regardless of faith and allowed one dedicated prayer time a week (which was the regime for several centauries), in Muslim countries the detainees are chained up to prevent them from joining the faithful in prayer, failing to do the same our plod & prisons are actually reinforcing the superiority complex of the Muslim faith (they already preach that our laws are nothing and can be broken without shame in many mosques, although admittedly not all)
as for providing a holy book, they don't do it for any other faith group so why make special allowances ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shalom2010
Grafter

I'm don't think you are correct about holy books - do you have evidence of this? my reason for saying this is that you hear all the time about prisoners joining different faiths in prison. Is there any harm in doing so anyway? What's better a bible or Sky TV (tongue in cheek remark)
nanotm
Pro

oh they all find faith in prison because doing so ensures a swifter parole hearing and good behaviour release, in prisons they might even provide a choice of pocket bibles however such things have never been given inside police or court cells, if a prisoner is brought in with them then iirc they used to be allowed them until someone hid razor blades inside there copy and committed suicide with them,
personally I believe they should still be allowed, nothing like a Darwin award for the chronically stupid, besides it saves umpteen thousands per day on a court proceedings if the guilty party tops themselves as a deliberate act of defying authority, it also has the upside of saving prison space but I understand why plod's wouldn't want to be cleaning up such mess and the reasons why they changed procedures to stop it from re-occurring. 
what I cant understand is why the so called authorities bend over backwards to enable a minority faith group to take liberties and take the piss out of them at every turn, who cares if they make complaints or go on protest marches, so long as everyone enforces the same policy and none make such idiotic moves in the name of reform, prisons and prisoners should have the right to treat others as they would be treated, 3 meals a day and a bed, if there abusive to the custodians then they open the door to receive abuse in return, if there violent they invite violence to be returned etc, all the touchy feely nonsense that has pervaded the penal system for the last few decades is a travesty.
and if it were me in charge I  wouldn't let them have anything special, no books in cells, no duvets (2 itchy woollen blankets), and certainly not any glass in the barred window holes.  prison should be a hell hole not some luxury dorm room, its no wonder there's so many repeat offenders the prison reform society has a lot to answer for, there supposed to be getting punished for crimes not rewarded for them, and if people die due to the cold damp wet conditions, well that's just the price god has deemed they should pay for there sins, certainly I wouldn't loose any sleep over it!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I think we should look at how prisoners are treated in Muslim states.
For goodnes' sake, how can we apply equality if certain groups are given special treatment.
AFAIK bread and water is unlikely to be a problem to any religion (OK give a choice of unleavened bread) so offer all prisoners 'standard British food' or bread and water.  Those found guilty of a crime should not be offered ANY special treatment (unless mentally ill but that's a different matter).
For those awaiting trial it's different as they've not been found guilty so should not be treated as such.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

to a degree sure, not everyone convicted is guilty and not everyone found not guilty is innocent, the problem with holding cells is they are used to detain all manner of people and as such should be run in a similar fashion, and anyone who is truly faithful should never end up in a cell because all crimes are a sin no matter what religion you follow, sure there are crimes and there are crimes, but a pious man will always err on the side of caution and thus not break even those rules.
on the other hand people use culture and religion to excuse all manner of criminality and then leverage religion to give themselves added concessions to further elevate themselves above the need to follow the law, the law should ignore all such calls and insist upon universal treatment regardless of culture or faith of detainees be they suspects or convicts, local detention should be a form of prison lite i.e. not quite as harsh a regime
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

IMO the moment you get yourself nicked or jailed is the moment you loose the right to religious respect no matter what religion you are.
Something very strange is going on in this country at the moment. It's as if the current mob are afraid of the muslims and just inviting them in to take over the country.
The jews don't get this sort of treatment from our government so why are the muslims? Christians don't get worshipping rights and a choice of meat either, neither do the catholics. Seriously, what is going on?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm pretty sure that any Jewish detainee can demend Kosher food - not so sure if Christians can demand fish on a Friday though.
Porridge (made with water - just in case) ought to qualify as Halal shouldn't it?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Devonian
Grafter

Giving anybody special treatment is really asking for trouble.
The Government are so hell bent in this multi culture eutopia they are forcing on us, that they don't seem able to see to hatred they themselves are stirring up.
It's going to end bad I think.
Oh, I just saw this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-24999917
I think it has gone beyond ridiculous now.
AndrewLorimer
Grafter

We have 'The Universal Declaration of Human Rights'. We have international law. This aids us in our dealings with other persons and people. It is the basis for law all over the world. See:
http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
This is the relevant text:
' Article 18 Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance'.
Andrew
Community Veteran

I have no problem with Muslims being allowed to practice their faith in prison and Jewish people receiving other food options as long as these are also offered to the other prisoners without exception.
If it is a recognised religion with a recognised dietary / praying requirement then that's fair enough.
Fixes: 123

If their faith is so important to these people why, then, are they in prison Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Devonian
Grafter

Exactly!  Thank you Mav.
adie:quote