cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The jury is out

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The jury is out

Last evening whilst scanning round the Sky channels for something to watch, I alighted on "True Movies" not a channel I even glance at much, as I usually think its definitely a ladies interest channel. However, being shown was a remake of the 1957 classic "Twelve Angry Men" with Jack Lemmon and George C Scott leading an excellent cast, which apart from the ad breaks I enjoyed very much.
This though is not my point, have you ever done jury service? do you have any experiences worth relating? but be careful not to be case or location specific.
I was called for two weeks jury service and sat around the assembly room for most of it, but was eventually called on the last day. We had one jury member who was so upset about the whole process and so adamant that she didn't want the future of another human on her conscience, with what was a blindingly obvious open and shut case, that she wouldn't have found Crippin guilty.
We ended as a hung jury after about 4 hours I think, a re-trial was ordered with a new jury.
A colleague was called to a very famous and gruesome child murder case, that went on for months, he was heavily traumatised for some time after, due to the evidence he had had to see. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
20 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: The jury is out

My wife is half-way through her two week service at the moment.
Last week was a nasty case, and she's not sure whether to be thankful she wasn't sat around bored all week, or to be wishing she hadn't had to sit through the week of details she had to.
Not high on my list of 'things to spend a fortnight doing'
Community Veteran

I have never been asked to do jury duty, he said, expecting the letter to drop on the mat tomorrow!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Petlew
she wouldn't have found Crippin guilty.

...and perhaps she would have been right!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/oct/17/ukcrime.science
Fixes: 47

Never done jury service. Is there an upper age limit?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

65 in Scotland with a proposal to increase it to 70.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I.E 70 for England and currently 65 for those up in the Northern Wilderness
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

This though is not my point, have you ever done jury service? do you have any experiences worth relating? but be careful not to be case or location specific.

I did a week a couple of years ago. It was just a fraud case, nothing that interesting to say about it (not without potentially getting myself into trouble anyway, public forum probably not the best place!).
Just take something to read when you go, even if you get picked straight away to do a case (as I did), as there can be a lot of messing about even when you're on one. Was a bit of legal wrangling on mine, so a fair amount of sitting in the waiting area.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

only called up once, first case theft of cable from my Mums Uncles firm, told then so back to the waiting room, 2nd A barrel of beer disappeared from a Pub and turned up in the boot of a car at a new Rugby club HQ Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

With respect pierre, I did say in my OP to be careful about specifics, I understand ex-jurors could be done for contempt of court if details of cases are discussed and an offender can make a connection out of it.
I realise you were only skirting round the edges. For this sort of reason I very nearly didn't post this as being too dangerous.
Perhaps a member who has legal experience can elaborate?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Lurker
Grafter

No specific advice, other than that as you suggest, caution and discretion are best regardless of the finer legal points.
Better to say nothing and be though a fool... etc. Smiley
Erm - that's not directed at anyone, just a saying that comes to mind.
Community Veteran

I've done it twice - once in England ( Shire Hall - Chelmsford ) and once here in a Sheriffs court in Scotland.
I actually found the process interesting as you see it first hand - rather than all that rubbish you see on TV/Film dramas.
As a student - we were actually taken to a court room to observe trials and from that I developed an interest in the legal process.
Luckily I didn't get any gruesome or boring cases .
An interesting difference in Scotland - is we have an additional possibility - apart from guilty or not guilty - we also have a not proven - which allows the jury to indicate that they have grave misgivings that the person was guilty - but they do not consider the procurator fiscal ( prosecutor )  did not produce enough compelling evidence. To us ( the jury ) we found that useful, but some people regard that as unfair on the defendant as it leaves them tarnished and not totally cleared.
I would say - don't fight shy - take it as an opportunity to inform yourself first hand on how the legal system works, and as an opportunity to participate in the legal process.

itsme
Grafter

With respect pierre, I did say in my OP to be careful about specifics, I understand ex-jurors could be done for contempt of court if details of cases are discussed and an offender can make a connection out of it.

Not sure that's correct. When a trial is ongoing there are restrictions about what the jurors can say and do but don't forget that a court is public and the press report most cases. The notable exceptions are the family courts which are hold in camera.
After the trial I would say that jury members can discuss the case as I would have thought that most details are in the public domain or available using the Freedom of Information act. Also not sure when they dismiss the jury so that legal points can be discussed whether the public are still present in court.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Strat
Is there an upper age limit?

Quote from: HPsauce

Still possible then Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation