Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The great Olympic personal risk bubble

pierre_pierre
Grafter

The great Olympic personal risk bubble

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13206286
how much have you gambled with your bank accounts?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: The great Olympic personal risk bubble

Easy answer in my case..........nothing.
Why pay for something that does not even get you a specific seat ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Absolutely NAFF ALL>... not even interested in buying a postage stamp or anything to do with it... Cheesy
Fixes: 47

Me neither.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Nope, didn't try but i was shocked to read this:
One person worried about this is Ruth, who has applied for £22,000 worth of tickets.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

With the cost, logistics, security and infrastructure of hosting the games, Is it not about time they "broke up the Olympic games" into sections, (Track, Field, Gym, Pool etc) and held a section in each region of the world. Then spread it over the Olympic year, rather than cram it into 2 weeks.
Those who are serious spectators can seriously spectate for weeks at a time, the rest of us can get on with our lives and not pay a blind bit of notice.
itsme
Grafter

They already do that normally under the name of World Championships. The main difference between World Championships and the Olympics is the latter give more opportunity to compete.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I lean towards to often mentioned; having one permanent venue for the Olympics rather than moving it around to some country that can't afford it (er! the UK...) with the traditional home of Greece being high on my list.
However, whether the Greeks would want it is another matter. It would not be a question of if they could afford it as, all the other member countries would contribute (in relation to the size of their entrant participation..that would throw the cat among the pigeons) to the building and maintenance of such a venue.
I would guess it would cost individual countries a lot less than the current way.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.