cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The dreaded brown envelope, but should I be worried?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

The dreaded brown envelope, but should I be worried?

The dreaded brown envelope plopped into my postbox this morning and contained a letter telling me my pension has been increased, and that the DWP are now going to pay me £166.50 a week - but should I be worried, because that adds up to the number 666.

Are they trying to reveal something to me? Undecided

27 REPLIES 27
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: The dreaded brown envelope, but should I be worried?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

@Minivanman   actually, it adds up to 18..... but you can always give your friend David a call, to check it out   Shocked

Champnet
Pro

It does work out at 666 but given the time spent unraveling the OP’s post I hope the answer is yes....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Minivanman 

You need to be more worried when that other brown envelopes comes through your door........

The one regarding the council tax.......or to be more precise the amount it has gone up from last year......and remember despite paying more you will be getting less of a service from the council

idonno
Pro

@gleneagles wrote: The one regarding the council tax.......and remember despite paying more you will be getting less of a service from the council

Very true. Once we got garden waste taken away free, now they charge. They went over to LED lighting, supposedly using less electric. Cut the times they are on and did away with a fair number of columns on the main roads. Didn't see any reduction. Soon they'll be putting a meter outside so I have to pay to walk on the pavement.

So far I do like the tax man. Keeps giving me my own money back. Be better if he could add up in the first place but I ain't complaining.

Sure I'd love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran

It's the large jump in the police part that bugs me.

As another nearby big police station was sold off this year to developers, and seeing as a council tax payer I must have paid for it, am I wrong to think I should be the one getting a pay out.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles 

I sort of hate to say it, but because I am in receipt of Pension Credit I am exempt from paying it. 

Do you think there is a correlation between the rise in the council tax and the depth of those pot holes? Smiley

8BKA
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Just had my brown envelope my OAP state pension is going up to the grand sum of £140.93 ie £461.92 every four weeks which I pay tax on

If I know what I know now I would have not had a private pension and therefore claimed all the pension credits no council tax free this and that etc etc its not quite right

Brian A  

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@8BKA 

I also had a private pension, a major portion of which was lost in that 2007 financial crisis.

As I was 'only' 60 at the time and by then back in the UK, I was told by the told by the job centre of all places that rather than looking for work at my age and given that I still had a (very) small pension pot, to apply for pension credit that would make up the shortfall. It would take me up and well beyond any unemployment benefits I might receive and bring my income into line with the state pension.

So it was not asked for by me, for the DWP it got me off the unemployment register I presume... and I was being handed early retirement on a plate. 

Tax in whatever form paid both here and overseas now being fed back to me towards the end of my working life, what's not to like, and wasn't that what the social contract and the welfare state into which we all contributed all about?

I think it was, so well done Beveridge. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@8BKA 

PS as unable to edit the above, I do share some of your frustration as that small pension I receive is deducted from the amount I get in pension credit.

So much for us being encouraged to have that private pension eh?

Jonpe
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 8

I think I've mentioned this somewhere on this forum before, so excuse me for repeating myself.

I opted out of SERPS, and for many years that money went towards a private pension which will be so small that it is better to take the money out as a lump sum.  For part of my working life I've paid into good final salary schemes.  My state pension will be the full amount (currently £164.35/week).  Had I remined in SERPS, I would have received an additional £90.83/week.

Now here is the catch:  Using the Age UK benefit calculator I find that if I had no more than £10,000 in savings and put my service charge and ground rent (much less than market rent) down as my rent, I'd be entitled to an additional £7,500 in benefits.  So had I not paid into other pension schemes, and not bothered with saving, I would effectively be just as well off thanks to the ever put-upon British tax payer.

Champnet
Pro

knowing anything about Pension Credit I tried the on-line calculator. Leaving out private pensions and savings I was surprised by how much I could claim. I guess claiming this opens the door to more benefits.

I have to agree with @Minivanman "So much for us being encouraged to have that private pension eh?"

8BKA
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi Jonpe 

It is not correct that if you were born on or after 6th April 1951 you will automatically get the new higher £164.35

If you were contracted out for any part of your working life you will get a lower pension see below

A friend of mine thought he was going to get the new higher pension after reading about it in the papers but actually received a lower amount

The calculations and increases are complicated because I get part of the RPI increases for my private pension paid at CPI on the state pension due to something called GMP ( guaranteed minimum pension ) this year I will get a 3.5 % increase on my SP not the 2.6% very confusing

What happens if I was in a ‘contracted out’ scheme?

When working out the ‘starting amount’ for your State Pension, a deduction will be made if you have been in a ‘contracted out’ personal or workplace pension scheme – for example, if you have been a member of a public sector pension.

The deduction is made because in this case normally you will have paid NI contributions at a lower rate because you were paying into a contracted out pension instead.

Brian A

Champnet
Pro

statement reads:

basic State Pension                                                          129.20

Pre 97 additional State Pension          62.75

less Contracted-Out Deduction          123.77

Total payable            0.00

Post 97 additional State Pension                                        11.05

Graduated Retirement Benefit                                              3.26

The amount each week is        143.51

DOB 1949

I maybe misreading it but it looks like a gain....