Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The dreaded billing system.

nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The dreaded billing system.

Not a billing question really, more of a discussion point, but am getting the distinct impression that it won't be long before the PN billing system falls over completely. Does anyone know what, if anything, is being done about it? Seems like many people are in difficulties. Are we all to look forward to a free service while it's sorted out? 👍

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: The dreaded billing system.

@nozzer I will probably comment on this sometime tomorrow - due to a change in my phone package and my LRS overlapping, I had a bit of a larger than expected bill for March, but fortunately got to speak to couple of very competent agents, and half the problem was sorted within two days. I will know if the other half is sorted when I get my April bill - hopefully tomorrow morning. If it isn't then I shall be posting a 'sort it' request.

John
nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I am surprised that PN, being a subsidiary of BT, can't enlist some greater expertise to tackle the problems though. All these stories of billing doom can't be doing PN much good, and it must be taking up a lot of time which could be better used by support staff. Nobody seems to be sorting it, at least not in a way that's visible.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@nozzer I suspect because PN is the 'bargain basement' of BT, they are disinclined to spend money on it. I do agree it could be sorted, but the bean-counters will have advised top management it is not 'cost-effective' - in their usual short-sighted view.

John
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Perhaps it’s not a straightforward question but comparing like for like is BT that much more expensive than PN assuming you get it when one of the deals are on for new customers only?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@jab1 wrote: I suspect because PN is the 'bargain basement' of BT, they are disinclined to spend money on it.

I don't know @jab1 I pay my present ISP the same amount that a new customer would pay to PN (deal rate 🤔 ) and I haven't had one wrong billing at all. I get notified each month and it gets paid - but then I didn't have any billing issues either when I was with PN. I'd have thought it would be a company's top priority to sort. After all, how can they pay the VAT due to HMRC if the billing that it is based on seems to be such a shambles.

But judging from what gets reported, it seems to affect (in the main) those that pay monthly by card etc. Direct debit payees don't seem to suffer the same fate.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Seasoned Hero

@idonno You are probably correct in what you say about the majority of problems affecting those who, for whatever reason, pay by card.

My comments re: the billing system in general was based on something else, but I'm not going there.

It should be a company's top priority to get its accounting system correct, otherwise the firm will eventually grind to a halt, but PN management don't seem, from what we can see, to be that bothered.

John
jab1
Seasoned Hero

Well, just got my April bill, and was pleasantly surprised - looks like I've been 'under-billed', but I shall leave it as it stands for the moment, (1) because it is not a good idea to contact PN at the moment - they have more pressing problems and (2) I want to examine the new bill when my brain is more awake in the morning, it is a little complicated to unravel at the moment.

John
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 19

I once worked for a company that after numerous stock counts and checking of "paperwork" couldn't satisfy its auditors that the accounts were a "true and correct record" of profits etc.

So they announced that the accounts were "qualified".

Everyone ran round like headless chickens.

I left at this point.

In the 1990’s it operated more than 150 stores worldwide, with over 50 stores in the US.

This company still exists - but now only has a single shop (in the UK).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@VileReynard wrote:

I once worked for a company that after numerous stock counts and checking of "paperwork" couldn't satisfy its auditors that the accounts were a "true and correct record"

I believe such an organisation exists just across the Channel. 😉

nocback
Dabbler

just received bill for June,   message mentioned new billing format .    It has me confused ,                         paid line rental up front ( for  1 year ) approx. Oct 2019 . Only other charge monthly , evening  /weekend calls at approx. £5 . No  chargeable calls made . So how does bill become     £9  odds ?      Is this what is meant by creative accounting  or is it something dreamt up by experts not for us mere mortals .     Maybe someone can inform me or let me in on the secret,   ( sounds like magic     approx.  nearly 100% return )   where would  u get it.     Would be grateful if could be informed as to how this accounting stuff works .

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@nocback Without seeing the breakdown part of your invoice, it is a bit difficult to comment.

John
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

That’s one of the problems when your contract ends, do you take a risk and renew keeping in mind the horror stories from some customers regarding billing issues or do you change supplier....

If a company cannot get it’s billing system sorted out after 2 years of problems and at the same time reduce the level of customer support by reducing the range of contacting options then renewing is a serious gamble.

We are born into history and history is born into us.