cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The dangers of SatNav

Fixes: 47

The dangers of SatNav

According to insurance company Direct Line SatNav devices are responsible for 300,000 road accidents every year.
The article goes on to say that 1 in 10 drivers said that the device had caused them to make an illegal turn.
I suspect that this excuse would be treated less sympathetically by the magistrate than the usual "the missus told me to do it"  Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: The dangers of SatNav

guess it's a case of switch on sat nav, switch off brain.....
Will Moderate For Thanks
geewizz
Grafter

I conclude that the 1 in 10 who said that the device had caused them to make an illegal turn should have these things removed from their cars. Sat-navs should not be allowed in any vehicle where the driver is stupid enough to think that it has command over the driver and the highway code.
In my head I had corrected the earlier post which said "switch on sat nav, switch of brain" to "switch off brain." The more I think about it, the more I realise that the original is much more appropriate.
Fixes: 104

I edited said post which said 'switch of brain' originally...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Javert
Grafter

As long as the incompetent drivers don’t take the blame!  Grin
There is a railway crossing near here, and the road “crosses” it. Travelling in a westerly direction the railway crossing is clearly indicated: white fencing on either side, a red-and-white barrier pole on the right, and a yellow “box” grid painted on the road. Immediately “over” the actual rails is the Junction Box, and next to that is a right turn. A teenage driver needed to turn into that road; as he approached the crossing his sat nav instructed him to “Take the next right turn”.  So he did – onto the railway lines. Fortunately, there were no trains imminent.  He probably blamed the sat nav!

N/A

Don't worry about it - Darwins law will sort it all out for us if we give it time.