cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The dangers of SatNav

Fixes: 58

The dangers of SatNav

According to insurance company Direct Line SatNav devices are responsible for 300,000 road accidents every year.
The article goes on to say that 1 in 10 drivers said that the device had caused them to make an illegal turn.
I suspect that this excuse would be treated less sympathetically by the magistrate than the usual "the missus told me to do it"  Roll eyes

Customer and Forum Moderator.

5 REPLIES
Fixes: 153

Re: The dangers of SatNav

guess it's a case of switch on sat nav, switch off brain.....

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

geewizz
Grafter

I conclude that the 1 in 10 who said that the device had caused them to make an illegal turn should have these things removed from their cars. Sat-navs should not be allowed in any vehicle where the driver is stupid enough to think that it has command over the driver and the highway code.
In my head I had corrected the earlier post which said "switch on sat nav, switch of brain" to "switch off brain." The more I think about it, the more I realise that the original is much more appropriate.
Fixes: 153

I edited said post which said 'switch of brain' originally...

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Javert
Grafter

As long as the incompetent drivers don’t take the blame!  Grin
There is a railway crossing near here, and the road “crosses” it. Travelling in a westerly direction the railway crossing is clearly indicated: white fencing on either side, a red-and-white barrier pole on the right, and a yellow “box” grid painted on the road. Immediately “over” the actual rails is the Junction Box, and next to that is a right turn. A teenage driver needed to turn into that road; as he approached the crossing his sat nav instructed him to “Take the next right turn”.  So he did – onto the railway lines. Fortunately, there were no trains imminent.  He probably blamed the sat nav!

N/A

Don't worry about it - Darwins law will sort it all out for us if we give it time.