cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The cost of fashion

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

The cost of fashion

In Primart the other day.......T shirts £ 2 each....ok they might not be top quality but some people are paying £ 50 plus for similar items simply because they have a particular logo on them.

Now how people spent their money is up to them but what concerns me is children at school, if they don't have the right gear are they likely to be bullied ? What pressure is on parents, some with little money to buy these items at inflated prices ?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The cost of fashion

I've seen Gucci T shirts for £350 and no that's not a typo so assuming a very high quality fabric you're paying £340 for a logo!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Indeed, and chuckled at this in Private Eye earlier in the week.

IMG_20190225_0001_NEW.jpg

Never bought into it m'self and we used to have all sorts of trouble with our kids back in the 80's wanting the latest labels especially when it came to trainers. We never skimped on the kids clothes and always bought the best we could afford and sometimes more - especially when it came to shoes.

As for those T shirts @gleneagles I do find it difficult at times to find anything of decent quality and nothing that has not been made overseas and for a pittance wage no doubt. Last week the Mrs bought me 'two for a fiver' decent quality white T shirts from Asda after we'd checked out a couple of rather thin ones in M&S for £9 each. Err, no thanks.

GAP seems to do some decent stuff but again back to paying more but for both label a quality only one of which I am willing to indulge. Actually bought just the one of theirs on Ebay a year ago for just a fiver including postage.

Seems if you are happy enough to pay through the nose for it.... they are more than happy to take your money. :crazy2:  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't do extravagance myself, well when it comes to clothes that is, I buy Fruit of the Loom for both Boxers and T Shirts always buying the 'Heavy" weight version of the T currently on Amazon for £3.24 inc P&P. But you need to be careful where you buy them as some people ship out the cheaper versions and simply cut the label where it gives the 'weight' of the fabric.

Fixes: 394

I have a pair of Levi 501 jeans I bought in Canada. They weigh more than twice the weight of a pair of 501's bought in the UK.

The Canadian ones were made in Mexico (well before Trump became President). The UK ones were made in Bangladesh.

One of my grandsons is a supporter of one of our local football teams. He has to have the latest 'strip', shirt, shorts and socks.

He also requests the away kit but doesn't usually get it depending on his Mum's finances.

In the club shop it's easy to spend many hundreds of pounds for average quality clothing with a SUFC label.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw an article on the BBC where a man (19 y.o. Tavin Price) was murdered because of the colour of trainers he was wearing!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Terrible of course, but not for wearing a particular brand trainers exactly, more becuase they were red and it was gang related - he might just as been sporting the wrong tattoo.

https://lasentinel.net/defendant-pleads-not-guilty-in-price-murder.html

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

I feel little disgust about those, who can afford fashion at extremely high cost, for their money goes into the nations' economies. It's their money to spend, though I would hope too that some of their worth was freely given to worthwhile items and causes to benefit society, emphasizing its weaker elements.

There is, however, a problem of throwing stones at others like the rich. We, the less moneyed, but still reasonably affluent, who buy cheap synthetic stuff with short use life are causing bad environmental problems.

Matters like murder because of trainer colour in my opinion not really to do with fashion, but rather morality, self control and law.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

But isn’t that the irony of the whole thing @Luzern. For the most, people buy what they can afford, but regardless of cost if the garment maker in question can eke more profit out of each one by taking advantage their circumstances then there is not a lot we can do about that.

We might be able to change the mindset of the maker if everyone were to boycott the company, and as we have seen with other boycotts in the past this has little to no effect as the majority refuse or won’t do it.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

Sorry @Anonymous But I feel in matters of consumption, whilst boycotts may have effect, the real problem is our wasteful purchasing both of goods made of indestructible material, which we throw away too soon. We indulge ourselves unthinkingly.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree with you there @Luzern, I will admit to doing it myself. :embarrassed: