Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The cost of Electricals...

LiamM
Grafter

The cost of Electricals...

This amazes me...
I check out eBuyer and am amazed to find a 32" flat screen telly for under £300, but i can kind of live with that.
Today, I go to Tesco, and they're selling Freeview boxes for £10 - yes - a tenner!!  I remember when they were £100 odd.
I paid £750 for my 28" Samsung LCD with the Samsung DVD-Recorder and nice fancy Black stand... and that was only a year ago!
10 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: The cost of Electricals...

I paid £500 for my absolutely huge 32" Song Vega CRT.
Saw 42" Plasma's in ASDA for £600 the other day.  I'm holding out for a 60" though Smiley
paulby
Grafter

Quote from: James
I paid £500 for my absolutely huge 32" Song Vega CRT.

Don't feel too bad - I forked out £1100 for a Sony Wega 32" CRT in 2001.  I'm now trying to persuade my wife that she'd really like a 42" plasma  Cheesy
James
Grafter

Does yours weigh a metric tonne too?
paulby
Grafter

Near enough!!
The delivery guys just dumped it in the hallway in its box.  I had to enlist the help of a neighbour to get it onto its stand Smiley
James
Grafter

I know that feeling! Just had to move mine from the bedroom to the living room.  It's such an awkward size there's no way you can move it on your own.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Same with me, my 32" LCD TV was just under £1000 when I bought it about 15 months ago, now you get get get same spec for half that - and I reckon probably even more now.
I managed to lift it on my own though, the object I can't do is my colour laser printer, two will struggle to lift that.
Still I guess its rather theft proof Grin
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I'm not too fussed with the value depreciation, but what really gets me is the difference in prices for UK and USA! And not only are they cheaper for the same TV over here, but I've noticed a few websites have raised their prices quite considerably because of the exchange rate - surely this isn't allowed?
I guess I just want cheaper TVs Tongue
chino
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
I'm not too fussed with the value depreciation, but what really gets me is the difference in prices for UK and USA! And not only are they cheaper for the same TV over here, but I've noticed a few websites have raised their prices quite considerably because of the exchange rate - surely this isn't allowed?
I guess I just want cheaper TVs Tongue

Just bought a camera and it arrived with the European plug so it must have been a gray import though when i saved £70 i am not that fussed...
The only problem now is that with the price difference you end buying lots more when you travel and its not all for yourself!
James
Grafter

So when Liam lived there you kept the telly hidden in your bedroom, but now he's gone back to Devon it gets pride of place in the living room again?
Is Coronation Street so important that you must not be disturbed whilst watching it?

No, but my 360 is! Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

From The BBC
The quality isn't as good as it used to be. I guess if you pay £69 for something that a couple of years ago would have cost £400 then the quality isn't going to be the same," said Mr Price.

That is so true back in the 1970s wen I was at Commodore Business Machines (CBM), the electrical equipment was made to last.  Wink
Not like today's equipment is made to brake!  Cry