cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The boss is buying me a new PC!

Denzil
Grafter

The boss is buying me a new PC!

I have been running the latest version of a major CAD package on a five year old PC, and it is struggling. After much complaint the order has been placed for a new one.
AMD Phenom II quad core Cheesy
8GB RAM  Cheesy
64GB SSD Cheesy
NVidia Quadro FX380 CAD graphics card  Cheesy
Vista 64bit  Angry
Shame it has to be Vista, but maybe I can fiddle it to work more like XP, or install Linux and run Vista in a virtual machine...
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: The boss is buying me a new PC!

How much control do you have over this machine? Is it yours to do as you want with, or does your boss have a say in it? Vista should emulate Xp if you want it to, or better still, dual-boot with Xp, with 64Gb of HD you shouldn't have too much trouble as long as you have access to an Xp disk of course.
However, I've posted a number of times that there is very little wrong with Vista nowadays, with 3 Vista PC's in this house and no insurmountable problems with any of them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Denzil
Grafter

Dual boot isn't really practical, as I would spend more time rebooting than actually doing any work!
I've no gripe with Vista's reliability, I just find it incredibly frustrating whenever I have to look at someone else's Vista PC and can't find anything and can't do simple stuff like copy a whole file path from the Windows Explorer address bar, for example... except, hold the press, I have just found a <a href="http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-explorer-breadcrumbs-in-windows-vista/">solution</a> to that one.
Maybe there is enough scope for making Vista not behave like Vista to make it acceptable after all Cool
N/A

Changed to Vista about a month after its release and although the transition from XP took longer to get used to than the one from 98 to XP (a bit strange that), it is absolutely faultless. Never crashes, thoroughly reliable and much better for having the UAC turned off! 
There must be summat up though, because loads of people complain about it. I suppose it is down to what the user requires of the machine. Needless to say, my needs are pretty simple and straightforward.
Loombucket
Grafter

There's no need to settle for Vista if you don't want it - buy a Vista Business PC with XP Downgrade Rights and XP on recovery disks.  Most if not all manufacturers and OEMs supply them, performing the downgrade is a doddle even if the OEM hasn't already done it.
If you want a good OEM that can supply a cracking good, well built and well spec'd CAD system, try these guys - www.epic-computers.co.uk - I've used them for many years and they really are well worth sticking with.
This is the only way Microsoft are keeping their Vista sales figures up - millions of machines are going out the door with Vista Business on them but it's being removed instantly and replaced by XP.  Cool
Denzil
Grafter

I did make that point, but the boss is insistent that we should be using the latest OS, and there is only so much arguing I can do.
scootie
Grafter

autodesk's autocad and 3d max studio work fine on my sisters xp desktop 3gb ram intel dual core and 256mb graphics card.
the same programs also run fine if abit slower on her vista dell studio 3gb ram intel dual core and 256mb graphics card.
not to sure what the power of the processor are even tho i did customize and order both of the machines for her  Roll eyes
what was the specs of your old work horse denzil?
tstaddon
Rising Star

Actually, you should be pleased that it's the Vista x64 operating system, because your machine would be rather crippled otherwise.
XP 32 bit can't address 8GB of RAM so that'd be a complete waste of disk space. You can always turn off Aero and the other stuff to improve performance and get the XP look / feel back.
Over the past 6 months I've compared the performance of Linux x86 versus AMD64, and Windows 2003 x86 versus x64, and the same with Vista - on five different machines with 2GB RAM or more. For fairness, the exact same OS options were set on both platforms. In every instance, the x64 install was noticeably smoother to use than the x86 equivalent and the more intensive the apps are, the more noticeable the performance seems to be.
For example, I installed Sharepoint and SQL server on Windows 2003 x86 and boy, was it slow. Even when there was only one user on the server (me) and all I was doing was browsing the admin portal, it ran slower than an arthritic one-legged tortoise trying to swim across a treacle pit. I could make a cup of tea between browser refreshes, it was that slow.
So I wiped the server and started over, using x64 OS, x64 for Sharepoint and x64 for SQL Server. No hardware changes, just the software and OS.
It now has 60 people hammering it all day long, uploading documents and all sorts - but the end user experience doesn't so much as hiccup.
It's on that basis that we've decided on our next laptop refresh, to go x64 across the board. What I really don't get, is why any manufacturer shipping a new PC with >2GB of RAM these days would NOT provide the x64 OS given the obvious performance benefits.