cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The bigger they are, the harder they fall..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The bigger they are, the harder they fall..

Remember the days when Nokia used to be miles ahead of every other mobile manufacturer? - They were known as innovators and were the super giant of mobile technology. Now it looks like they're running into trouble.
[quote="BBC Article"]
Nokia at crisis point, warns new boss Stephen Elop
Nokia's new head has sent an outspoken and frank memo to his staff that suggests the phone giant is in crisis.
Stephen Elop describes the company as standing on a "burning platform" surrounded by innovative competitors who are grabbing its market share.
In particular, he said, the firm had been caught off guard by the success of Google's Android operating system and Apple's iPhone.
"The first iPhone shipped in 2007, and we still don't have a product that is close to their experience," chief executive Mr Elop wrote in the note that was distributed to the Finnish company's staff and was first published by technology website Engadget.

Makes you think doesn't it.. these days any large company can go down the pan in a relatively short amount of time no matter how large they are.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: The bigger they are, the harder they fall..

If there was a generic name (like Hoover) for a mobile phone it would be Nokia.
Looks like they took their eye off the ball.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 121

From another article last month:
Nokia shares fall as firm warns of weak start to 2011
Operating profits in the fourth quarter fell 26% to 1bn euros (£860m) on the same period last year, with sales up 6% to 12.6bn euros.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
If there was a generic name (like Hoover) for a mobile phone it would be Nokia.

I'd have to disagree. I've never heard anyone say "I need a new nokia", "where's my nokia", "have you got a nokia" or even "what make of nokia is that?"
If there was a company called mobile I'd agree.

There's nothing to disagree with as I said if there was a generic name for a mobile it would be Nokia but as there isn't ...... Smiley
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Community Veteran

Dunno, when have you ever seen people queuing outside a store for hours to get their hands on a new nokia like they do for an iphone when its first released?
David_W
Rising Star

People don't need to queue for hours outside a Nokia store, Nokia don't give fake demand.  You also find that it's one store that gets swamped, one reporter in SF had a look at the queue and went to another store with no queue and bought the phone.  Nokia far outstrips Apple and Google, latest reports on smartphone sales puts Nokia's sales as greater than Apple and Android combined, the CEO is just making noises to get share price up or because he's an ex-Microsoft person to lay the ground to bring out Nokia mobiles using Windows Mobile 7 platform (or even Android).
What kind of a CEO says "hey, Meego, not competitive is it?" Of course it's not competitive, it's not even been released yet, the iPhone 5 has 0% market share, ohh woe is Apple!  There are also rumours that the CEO wants to move the HQ of Nokia from Finland to the US, he's seriously nuts if he plans to do that.  Meego has two of the biggest names you can think of behind it, Nokia and Intel, when it's released it will be competitive, it'll be on many devices, it's already being included in Fedora so will probably find it's way into Ubuntu, the CEO just, I don't know, nuts.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

FWIW "BBC News has verified that the memo is genuine."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12403466
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the trouble is looking at recent apps, next to no one is doing then for Nokia, all the stuff coming out of USA is either I stuff or Google  Even PN is no good on Nokia
Community Veteran

And there we are being told that Java apps work on anything running java  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Java on a phone?

It's a bit like the Windows v Linux debate. There's no way a geeky OS like Linux is ever going to oust Windows from the top spot.
/coat Wink
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

The bit people miss is that Nokia dominate the phones sales in the less well connected places like Asia and Africa.  You won't get an Iphone there!
Community Veteran

I have always thought Nokia made good phones. I have had my current one for 4 years and it works perfectly.