Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The big 10,000 post count!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Re: The big 10,000 post count!

Thanks @dvorak

Didn't know that, cor that was not quite before my time but not far off.
I was a lot younger then. Tongue

Ah and Billy Joel - I actually know the first three songs as I grew up with his music as a family. I have quite a lot of his music on my iPhone.

Wonder how much an original disc of that would be worth now?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

Apologies to @Gandalf for the deviation the thread's taken. @Alex, can I assume from your query above that you have never listened to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon? If you haven't can I please suggest that you beg or borrow a copy, put it in your CD Player, put on a pair of head phone, turn off the lights and listen. Trust me you won't regret it.

Community Veteran

Yep @Mook you are correct.

Never listened to it, and in actual fact I am now thinking about just buying a copy (that must be available on iTunes?) putting my headphones in (no I am not a chav that plays music out loud) and see how I go.

Something to try I guess.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

It's available to listen on Amazon's Music streaming service but you need to have the Premium option. But that doesn't stop you from having a free trial before you card's debited.

In fact there's an offer to get 3 months for only 99p.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005NO2PH4

Community Veteran

Thanks @Mook.

Sorry as well @Gandalf my bad, I think I was the one who took the thread off topic somewhat. Wink

Congrats anyway, I will post back (if no-one tells me off).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@Alex wrote:

Yep @Mook you are correct.

Never listened to it, and in actual fact I am now thinking about just buying a copy (that must be available on iTunes?) putting my headphones in (no I am not a chav that plays music out loud) and see how I go.

Something to try I guess.

@Alex  You could try any of the versions listed on here ....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pink+floyd+dark+side+of+the+moon+full+album+

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

Congratulations @Gandalf, but just think how many posts you could have had to your name if you'd joined the discussion on Egg & Soldiers.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 541

No worries about hijacking(too strong a word?) this topic, it's general chat and I think the rules are lot more lax here, or at least I hope. I'll probably be banned any minute now...any... minute... Smiley

Never listened to Pink Floyd and don't own a record player, though I know people who do own one.

I prefer to keep my music(Rise Against, Tenacious D, Meat Loaf etc) in digital format, though I remember the days of cassettes when I was kid. The good old days. Probably showing my age!

Just googled "Egg & Soldiers plusnet" and found the thread at the very top. I want some now to replace my stale diet of waffles, fried eggs and bacon, but the shops are unfortunately closed at this hour. Note to self, go tomorrow morning.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@Gandalf Try this one for a "taster"...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds

VileReynard
All Star
Fixes: 11

I once got the chance to listen to a wax cylinder phonograph - very lo-fi!

Apparently the wax cylinders were called "records" in their heyday.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

The plaque on the wall of Alexandra Palace claims that the world's first HIGH DEFINITION television service was inaugurated there.  The definition of HIGH DEFINITION has clearly changed considerably since 1936.

Highlighted
198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 13

Pink Floyd aficionados may be interested in this clip from David Gilmour's site:

BBC Radio 4's Soul Music programme on Wednesday 26th December (9.00am, repeated at 9.30pm; then available, as a podcast, on the BBC Sounds app.) features Shine On You Crazy Diamond discussed by voices including David Gilmour.

Written about Syd Barrett, their former band member, it's both a tribute, and a call for him to "shine on" despite suffering serious mental health issues. David Gilmour recalls the legendary day that Syd Barrett unexpectedly appeared in the studio where they were recording Wish You Were Here, the album bookended by Shine On. Nobody recognised Syd at first; once handsome and slender, he'd gained weight and shaved his head and eyebrows.

Another contributor to the programme, Anna Gascoigne, talks about the pain of losing her son, Jay. He was a gentle boy, a talented musician, who eventually succumbed to the multiple mental health problems he had battled for years. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, for Anna, speaks directly to her of Jay; he loved Pink Floyd and Shine On was played at his memorial service. Anna, herself, was driven to the brink of suicide by her son's death. It was the support of her family – including her brother, Paul Gascoigne – that helped her to carry on.

Ed Steelefox, a DJ based in Worcester, describes a New Year's Eve house-party of a few years ago: as the guests gradually fell asleep he chose to slip out the door leaving a non-stop playlist of different, live, versions of 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' to penetrate their dreams.

And Professor Allan Moore, a regular Soul Music contributor, takes to the grand piano to play and talk about what it is in the track that is so directly reminiscent of Syd Barrett.

Congrats to @Gandalf - may your star continue to shine brightly. Smiley

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else