cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best way of cleaning windows.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The best way of cleaning windows.

Adair Towers is an old shop with large plate glass windows looking out on to the street. The passing traffic soon creates a build up of grime on the windows, so every 2-3 weeks I have to get out there to clean them. Of course I always get "helpful" suggestions from passers-by who know better, but I've devised the world's best method of cleaning windows.
I have a window cleaner's mop (wide and thin, covered in fleece) and an 18 inch rubber squeegee. I make up a washing-up bowl full of luke warm water 95%, methylated spirits 5%  and a drop of Fairy washing up liquid. The water is mopped across the whole window pane and squeegee'd off with steady overlapping horizontal strokes working from the top of the window down.  One more overall mopping followed by a repeated squeegee process. No additional actions required, the window is crystal clear until 20 minutes later when some grubby child trails it's greasy  chocolate coated little pinkies along the freshly cleaned glass.
Does anyone have a better method?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: The best way of cleaning windows.

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Does anyone have a better method?

Not really from my perspective but I would love to be able to follow that procedure on the inside of my windows.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Whiter Vinegar is meant to do a good job Smiley
http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Windows-With-Vinegar
Regards
Mike
Mike
Fixes: 47

Now you've got me looking at window vacuum cleaners Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: I
Whiter Vinegar is meant to do a good job...

I used to include vinegar until I realised it would rot the stonework under the windows. I still haven't worked out a good way of cleaning the windows at the back of the house where the panes are multi-pane 6" x 4" with cast iron frames, there are just hard work and also difficult to reach without scaffolding.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Autoglym Glass Products, fantastic results.
Designed for Car Windows Glass, but also excellent on House Windows, inside & out.
Car Glass Polish for general high quality results. £6.99
Fast Glass for removing dried deposits, such as Bird Poo. £7.75
A very small amount of each is required, so what may initially seem as expensive, pays in the long run.
Thoroughly recommended
Available in Halfords, and the staff there also recommend their use on House Windows.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Rain-x may help to keep them clean for longer: http://www.rainx.com/product/glass-and-cleaners/rainx-original-glass-treatment/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

@w23, I use Rain-x on my car and it does a fantastic job. Once cleaned the glass stays cleaner longer which is a good thing Wink
TORPC
Grafter

Did I hear someone mention the "Halfo..." word Tongue
We use to use a drop or 2 of vinegar in the luke warm water, then use a rolled up newspaper to buff the windows
However when the newspapers change brands / type of ink / that idea went out of the window due to it causing more smears & more work
Now once a month we pay a neighbours kid to clean the windows & he does a shiny job
nanotm
Pro

pay a window cleaner on an annual contract to do them every 3 weeks it often works out cheaper than doing the job yourself and the added bonus if they damage the windows they have to replace them Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you