CX
Grafter

The bear-faced cheek of some thieves...

Something tells me you're not disturb this one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23585031
9 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: The bear-faced cheek of some thieves...

Back in 1978 we were staying about 200 miles north of Toronto and visited a local garbage tip, one evening, to see the bears. There were quite a few seeing what they could find.
Fixes: 47

When we stayed with relatives in North Vancouver I used to go out for a walk in the woods most days as it was cooler in there.
One evening watching the local news a bear had been caught looking for food in a neighbouring garden.
I didn't go back in those woods for the rest of the holiday except in  a group.
Raccoons were a big problem in other parts of town, tipping bins over looking for scraps. I chased some away on a couple of occasions.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Strat
Raccoons were a big problem in other parts of town, tipping bins over looking for scraps. I chased some away on a couple of occasions.

To stop raccoons opening the dustbin person we stayed with put bin in an aluminium boat. Curvature of boat kept lid in place but one night a determined raccoon spent ages rolling bin up and down until we chased it off.
Often used to see a little furry raccoon face looking through mosquito mesh, in door, at us  Smiley
Chipmunks were also great fun.
Rattlesnakes were the real no no. Someone caught one and had it in an industrial size coffee jar. Held jar inside car to show us.
SWMBO passed out and hasn't been happy about snakes since then. We still  have it's rattle.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I used to go out for a walk in the woods

The advice always used to be that you could identify bears by their droppings: black bears have small droppings full of nutshells and berry seeds, and they smell kind-of fruity, while grizzly bears have large droppings full of bear bells and whistles, and they smell of pepper spray.
But I guess diets change.
Gabe
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Gabe
The advice always used to be that you could identify bears by their droppings: black bears have small droppings full of nutshells and berry seeds, and they smell kind-of fruity, while grizzly bears have large droppings full of bear bells and whistles, and they smell of pepper spray.

Are you, by any chance, a fan of Chris Packham  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Reminds me of watching that TV series about the baboons in South Africa with Bill Bailey.
They would raid the bins in the complexes for food, since it was easier than foraging. Ape equivalent of the supermarket if you would.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Chris Packham

Certainly prefers scat to cats.
Gabe
Fixes: 47

I was totally naive never having been abroad before never mind Canada and thought of woods the same way as back here.
It was only having seen the news item that the dangers of the country were brought home to me.
You live and learn. Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I have friends who live in Wisconsin and they have a cabin in the Blue Hills.  They say if you leava anything out at night you will get a visit from the bears Wink