cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Younger Generation/ Or Mine

Steve
Pro

The Younger Generation/ Or Mine

I have had enough of them, Im only 35 but they get on my nerves, I live on the high st and today i popped out to tesco's, On the way there on my street as i was walking two guys were coming toward me so i moved to the outer side of the pavement to let them pass, One guy was fine but the other walked straight into me so I stopped dead and just froze until he moved, Who was in the wrong? He walked past cursing so i turned and said " Have you not got eyes like"? he repeated the same to me as his other chum held him back from approaching me, I ignored this and just walked away to which he called me " A fat such and such.( Quite hurtful words as I know I may be fat but Ive started the gym now to get my body and fitness back in shape )
Should I of turned and just went for him and knocked his block off or what? I really am not good at holding back although today i did, Probably because i dont want locked up for the weekend. All I wanted to do was go quietly to the local supermarket Cry
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The Younger Generation/ Or Mine

There's a simple rule that I apply if there's 1 person going 1 way and several the other usually filling the path; there's no point in the single person trying to get out of the way so they should just keep straight on, it's the group (2 or more) that have to move aside.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well, now..... today, saw some of the opposite..... I am 65, my missus is 64, she has great trouble walking, but is not "deemed" disabled, by the standards required to get a disabled badge.... she suffers in silence, most of the time, and I do my bit, (park as close to shops, etc.) to help.... however, this really is taking the mick.....
she had been shopping in the local supermarket, and on the way around she noticed an old guy..... he must have been in his early 80`s pushing a wheelchair with his wife in ..... everytime he had difficulty accessing the food cabinets/shelves, because others were also shopping, he loudly "coughed" twice..... Hrmmpfh   hrmmpfh...... expecting people to get out of his way.... she continued shopping and went to the checkout, and the 10 items or less, ..... she had a trolley, which helps her to walk around the supermarket. but only had 5 items in it....
as she was queuing, she felt something hit the back of her legs..... turned around and saw this same old guy ..... he raised his voice to her and told her she had no right to be in that checkout, .and to move on. out of the way.... she ignored him, and then he rammed the wheelchair into her legs again. again, starting to rant very loudly about how she shouldn`t be in the checkout, with a trolley..... the check out girls told him to calm down and shut up as my wife had every right to be there.... he continued, ranting, even as my wife was paying for her goods..... she left the store in tears, probably as a result of the pain he caused to her legs, and of course to the shock of someone in his situation and age group being so rude and ignorant.
when I met her outside, I asked her what was wrong, and she pointed out the man, so I went over to his car, as he was putting the wheelchair in the boot, and confronted him.... he denied he had hit her legs, and then started to rant and shout at me , accusing me of being rude to him because his wife was disabled and in a wheelchair..... It didn`t come to fisiticuffs, but he deserved to have his legs kicked, just so he knew how he hurt my missus....
Obviously this guy has an attitude, that he thinks because he is pushing a wheelchair, everyone should get out of his way....... my retort to him is that he shoulld learn how to drive the thing, grow up, and get a licence, before they let him out again with it......
As regards the original situation on this thread.......  If they are bigger than me....... I get out of the way..... If I am bigger than them....... I stand my ground ! ! .. Cheesy
scootie
Grafter

kids(say kids more like 15-16 year olds) around here seem to like throwing stones at windows here, i had a group of 4 eye'in the window up where my baby sleeps, so before they could do any damage i went out and they ran off, but they kept coming back because they looked at as tho it was a game.
So i had enough and whacked my well trained lab on his police issue lead (you know the one's i mean) and cornered the 4 muppets down a dead end alley way and just sat the dog down and gave the speak command and the teenagers soon backed down and apologized. the strange thing is pitbull and bull mastiffs roam free on this est and no one cares as there pretty well behaved but they see a dog on a lead and they think the dog must be nasty. not in my dog's case he's just well trained.
i think we should be able to give teenagers a good clip around the back of the head, the attitude of teenagers and even the toddlers on this est is shocking, if you act scarred of them then they pick on those people no matter what there age, i knew as soon as i moved here i would have to flex some muscle and beat me chest to send the message DONT MESS WID ME OR MY FAMILY AND I WONT HAVE CAUSE TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND GET REVENGE
i go by the saying. "Do to others as you want them to do to you". makes sense as me name is luke and its from the bible luke 6.31 am 27 and the youth of today seem's so worse than mine, i wouldnt spit in my mums face but many times i have seen youth around here do that to there mums
johpal
Grafter

Welcome to my world!  Grin
As shutter points out, it isn't only the younger generation that can have an attitude. I used to live in Amsterdam; the trams had narrow doors. You wouldn't believr the attitude of some little old ladies, who thought it their right to board the tram, without allowing others to exit first.
Problem is, my own generation can be just as bad. I'm sick of people telling me they have rights, whilst conveniently forgetting they also have responsibilities.  Crazy
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Asbo
So i had enough and whacked my well trained lab on his police issue lead (you know the one's i mean) and cornered the 4 muppets down a dead end alley way and just sat the dog down and gave the speak command and the teenagers soon backed down and apologized. the strange thing is pitbull and bull mastiffs roam free on this est and no one cares as there pretty well behaved but they see a dog on a lead and they think the dog must be nasty. not in my dog's case he's just well trained.
i think we should be able to give teenagers a good clip around the back of the head, the attitude of teenagers and even the toddlers on this est is shocking, if you act scarred of them then they pick on those people no matter what there age, i knew as soon as i moved here i would have to flex some muscle and beat me chest to send the message DONT MESS WID ME OR MY FAMILY AND I WONT HAVE CAUSE TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND GET REVENGE

"Do you feel lucky, punk"  Grin Grin Grin

Steve
Pro

I guess some people really are just nasty whether young or old then, I generally be very polite and respectful when Im out especially to the old even if they are a bit rude I can perhap's understand why, And just continue to be polite and respectful as I mutter under my breath what a right.....However shutter reading your post made me  a bit angry towards this other person and If I had seen that at my local superstore I couldnt of just ignored that and I hope your Missus Is ok now.
When It comes to my age group or below though you can tell when they think they own the world and IF i was 20/25 YRS old I would not of gave it a second thought today, I would probably be in a cell right now, Or hospital. Undecided
It's just annoying and rude when you just step out the door and keeping yourself to yourself and this situation happens,  It get's my back up and makes me not want to go out because all I want is a quiet life.
I was brought up in a small village in the country where everyone bids you a good morning or " nice day isnt it" This is what i like...However in a town or city you mostly get the opposite which ive never really got used too, My girlfriend lives in a small place where the locals bid you a good day and so going from defensive mode to a more relaxed state is confusing at the best of times Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, Steve, missus is ok now..... it was the shock and hurt that really upset her, as she has been suffering a long time, and gets really annoyed when she sees people with blue badges on their car, and they can walk better than her....
I gave the guy a good mouthful, but I doubt it will make any difference next time he goes to the shops, or anywhere...
Just seems a shame that I was brought up to respect my elders. ...... this guy certainly let them down... !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: johpal
I'm sick of people telling me they have rights, whilst conveniently forgetting they also have responsibilities.

Well said Johpal
@shutter sorry to hear about your misses, hope she is OK and brightened up.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: shutter
Yes, Steve, missus is ok now..... it was the shock and hurt that really upset her, as she has been suffering a long time, and gets really annoyed when she sees people with blue badges on their car, and they can walk better than her....
Glad she Is ok, I can relate with you with regards to the blue badge, My girlfriends mother has a dodgy knee and has pain with it most of the time,  Very hard for her to drive let alone walk, This year however they refused her blue badge ( Even though she qualified for one the year before and the year before that and this year the Legs still the same as ever,  Has not improved ), Life sure is not fair at times Angry
peem

Hello everybody. This is my first post here although I have been watching from the sidelines for a while.
This topic took my interest though. I agree with Steve M about the confusion in changing from the defensive mode. I also was brought up in a polite way. The difference with me though is it took me a long time to realise that being polite with some people is a waste of time. You have  to be careful that you don't become as bad as the louts you defend yourself against. I must admit that if I am the victim of loutish behaviour I usually give better than I get. This is where I sometimes let myself down  ie. the next set of, for arguments sake, young'uns, I meet I eye them and let them know I am not to be messed with.
If I may I will give an example. Late October last year I was walking by myself to my local. There was nobody on the road that I could see and it was quite dark. Then I saw two guys on the other side of the road walking in the opposite direction, i.e. towards me. Nothing unusual in that but I kept a wary eye on them. The move they made was quite cute I thought. One of them trotted over the road and continued toward me. Now I had nowhere to go. If I crossed over to get away from him I had to face his pal. If I suddenly turned around I was showing fear and also I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on them. I decided to keep going but now I was going to keep my eyes on the guy on my side of the road. He stared at me and I stared at him but we walked past each other. Fortunately I passed a lamp-post right then and I looked down and watched his shadow. He made some sort of a gesture to his pal. I decided, in for a penny etc.. I crossed the road right then and watched the second guy as I passed him. He looked none too pleased. Now I had my back to them but was near my local now. I turned around and they were together and watching me. The second guy shouted something so I began to walk back but they legged it. Now I would like to think I had frightened them off but I doubt it. When I got to my local the police had arrived and were questioning a fellow in there. He is a friend of mine and others in the pub told me he had been mugged not 10 minutes before. The M.O. was identical. I told the police and they took off after them. Didn't catch them though. They said they probably ran because they knew the police would be around soon and to watch out on my way home.
Every young'un that came into the pub that night got the evil eye off me and they were as good as gold.
I have to say I'm not as young as I was and would probably get my block knocked off sometimes but you cant let them get away with it.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: peem
You have  to be careful that you don't become as bad as the louts you defend yourself against.
Hi and a warm welcome to the forum peem, I agree with you here and I must say It seems to be when they are in groups of 2 or more that they are at there most troublesome, Glad It turned out ok for you, It could of easily went the other way which thankfully has not happened.
johpal
Grafter

@shutter
I'm really sorry to hear about  your wife's suffering and being unable to obtain a Blue Badge. However, I must point out, that Blue Badges are not exclusively for physically disabled people. My son has severe learning difficulties; he doesn't "do" waiting and can become easily frustrated. He's 19 now and bigger than me; handling a tantrum isn't as easy as it used to be. However, to see us leaving the vehicle, we are both perfectly capable of walking. Sorry if this sounds unfair.
scootie
Grafter

hi johpal.
your son sounds very similar to are eldest who's only 5, he has very mild learning difficulty's  un diagnosed  so far, as they don't test for ADHD ect till there a certain age but the tant's some people just look at your child as very naughty but a tant can be over anything and can last an hour in some cases, It's at its worst when he's in need of sleep so i can very much empathize with you there and i can see the need to be able to park up as fast and close as you can.
johpal
Grafter

@Asbo Dog
Sorry to hear of your difficulties; it's maddeningly frustrating having to wait for a diagnosis. We were fortunate (?) enough to have my son's condition diagnosed at an early age and we had a "Statement of Special Educational Needs" before he started school, but the Blue Badge wasn't granted until he was 10.

I empathize with having to cope with people's stares and such, obviously thinking you have an undisciplined child. My son is also autistic and he doesn't use verbal communication. I once heard a man telling him off, for not giving up a seat on a bench to him. The words ringing in my ears were "What's up lad, don't you understand English?" I tried to explain to him my son's condition, but he wasn't listening and just kept going on about "the youth of today".

My advice is to develop a thick skin and quickly. I try to educate people and sometimes they show understanding. If not, I can now carry a smile on my face, thinking to myself "You are a f*****g, ignorant b*****d; I'm a far better person than you'll ever be" and I can walk away, really not affected by it. My wife isn't quite there yet, still unable to get over her indignation.
Thanks for understanding and you are not alone.