The Wimbledon Championships

Community Veteran

Re: The Wimbledon Championships

Oh dear even Wimbledon has its trouble:
Wimbledon Incident
randpwar
Grafter

Oh you got to see some great players artmo; Henin’s backhand is thing of beauty.
Whisper it but Murray’s looking strong, confident and focused, but somehow I wouldn’t feel comfortable betting against Nadal and Federer
Community Veteran

Nadal seems to be suffering from injuries though.  Federer will be the man to beat. Good day tomorrow that might start to give us a clue to the final.
Community Veteran

Quarter final line-up has been decided today.
Men
Federer v Berdych
Djokovic v Yen-Hsun Lu
Tsonga v Murray
Soderling v Nadal

Women
S. Williams v Na Li
Kvitova v Kanepi
Clijsters v Zvonareva
Pironkova v V. Williams
Some good matches in prospect for the week.
Community Veteran

Big upset today with Federer going out to Berdych.  Federer has won the Championships in 6 of the last 7 years.
Community Veteran

Off to Wimbledon again today.  Tickets for No.1 Court.  It's a day of doubles on No.1 so looking forward to it Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

Worth nipping in to No 2 court at midday if you can, Goran's playing in the invitation doubles!!
BTW re- Federer's loss, Is it just me or did you get the impression that he thinks he only lost because of a bad back and the fact that Berdych played a very good game is more or less irrelevant; see what you think
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2010-06-30/201006301277916541006.html?promo=sl_topartic...
Community Veteran

Saw Goran play before going on Court 1.  It was an entertaining match.  Good to see he can still serve at around 125mph.
I'm with you about Federer.  What a pity he couldn't say he was beaten by a better man on the day.
randpwar
Grafter

Sounds like you have had another great day at Wimbledon artmo; I reckon you’ve picked a vintage year and it’s really building up to an absolute classic.
I honestly can’t call either of the men’s semis, put a gun to my head and I’d have to say Nadal and Berdych but Murray v Djokovic would not surprise me in the slightest. I’ll stick me neck all the way out and say that if Murray gets to the final then he’ll win it. What do you think?
Community Veteran

It's always good to have a changing of the guard.  Nadal has won before but none of the others have.  I would love to see a Murray v Djokovic final which I think will be the most entertaining. Patriotically I must go with Murray but secretly would love to see Djokovic win.
Community Veteran

With all the hype surrounding Murray in the semi finals this afternoon we have overlooked 2 other British players that are doing well.  Laura Robson and Olly Golding will both be playing in the junior semi-finals today.  They will be the first representatives we've had in the boys and girls semi-finals for 38 years.  I saw a bit of Golding's match yesterday and he was playing well.  Good luck to them both Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

I’ve got more confidence that Laura Robson will do okay if only for the reason that the LTA have got ruining the game of talented young British male players down to a fine art. Also, and this is where I could come in for flack of the ‘sexist’ nature, but the competition and strength in the men’s game and general standard of play is much, much higher
Community Veteran

Unfortunately both Golding and Robson went out. Sad  Didn't see either match so can't comment on how they played.
Very surprised that Berdych had such an easy win over Djokovic.  On paper Dojkovic should have won it.
Community Veteran

Murray out as well.  He really couldn't answer the Nadal firepower at the vital points.  So we have a Nadal v Berdych final on Sunday.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Often wondered how much mental pressure is applied by the 'media' machine to guys like Murray and the England soccer team.
Can't help but think they may well do better if the media treated everybody with equal coverage.