cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Wimbledon Championships

James
Grafter

Re: The Wimbledon Championships

No, they were always scheduled to play on 18 again.
Community Veteran

Murray won in three straight sets in an easy match.  A mint performance Wink
randpwar
Grafter

GROAN.............. Roll eyes    artmo - I bet you've ben dying to use that pun
Community Veteran

Who me Wink Wink  I must confess I chewed it over first before posting Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well the marathon match finally got finished with Isner beating Mahut with a 70-68 last set.  Possibly never been seen again. Both players played tennis to an extremely high level throughout - all credit to them Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

But why do they do it.....!!
Oh, not the players I mean. There's a titanic struggle on court. the players have fought tooth and nail to win, and it's an edge of seat decider. The crowd erupt as the final point is played...
And...
The TV camera director switches to....the winners family, trainers and hangers on congratulating themselves when, what we want to see is the reaction of the players themselves and to each other...
Just to prove me a liar, the Nadal match that's just finished, the director didn't do it...uhmpppp!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I know what you mean - I cringe every time I see Judy Murray on screen.  Hasn't she got a job to go to Wink
Today's loser in the marathon match, Nicholas Mahut, won £11250 for his efforts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Today's loser in the marathon match, Nicholas Mahut, won £11250 for his efforts.

Played tennis for a longer period in total than any of England's soccer players will play soccer in the WC.
randpwar
Grafter

There’s a chance he may end up being on court longer than the winner; especially if you add up the total of all his games. He beat Bogdanovic (I think) 26-24 in the last in the qualifiers
Community Veteran

And what was he doing tonight - back on court 18 playing doubles Roll eyes
I'm off to Wimbledon tomorrow.  Tickets for Centre Court so should see Federer, Hewitt and Henin Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

Just before we start on today’s fair………..I couldn’t help but be struck by the genuine respect these two guys had for each other. Isner saying that it was ‘A massive honour to have shared this with him’ and Mahut calling him ‘A champion’. Add their absolutely impeccable behaviour over 11 hours of very competitive, tiring, stressful tennis and now compare it with the football players throwing themselves around in an attempt to hoodwink the referee and gain an unfair advantage. I have nothing but the utmost respect for both players 
Oh yes, by the way, artmo....we're expecting a running commentary  Wink.............have a great day
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Further to randpwar...I've just seen a interview on TV with Sue Barker. And Isner comes over as a genuinely "nice" guy, that rarity a self-effacing American.
Whilst on Americans, does anybody else think that the hyper-active John McEnroe is seeming to be a couple of bob short of a £ these days?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
randpwar
Grafter

He still comes up with very insightful….er….insights (couldn't think of a better word  Embarrassed) though petlew
Also, is it just me that thinks John Lloyd sound exactly like Ron Manager from the Fast Show…only he makes less sense
Community Veteran

I agree with all your comments about John Isner.  He played again today but lost.  Not surprising really after the physical exhaustion he must have had after his marathon match with Mahut.  Still he goes away with £18,750 as a second round loser.  Before the Championships started John McEnroe tipped Isner as an outsider with a chance of winning.  Maybe McEnroe was a year or so early Wink
Community Veteran

Hi randpwar.  Yes had a great day yesterday.  Great seats on Centre Court and couldn't ask for better tennis.  Saw Justine Henin beat Nadia Petrova and set up a potential all Belgian next round.  This was followed by Hewitt beating Monfils in a fantastic match with Hewitt playing as usual like a terrier chasing everything down, always entertaining to watch.  Last singles of the day was Federer dispatching Clements to the locker room in a display showing why he is the number one seed here. As everything ended in straight sets we got a bonus of a mixed doubles.  Unfortunately Murray (J) and Laura Robson were no real trouble for Sa and Zvonareva.  Altogether an enjoyable day helped along with a few glasses of cool Pimms Smiley Smiley
Next week I'm going again with seats on Court 1. Smiley