Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Whip

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: The Whip

Mav wrote:

Slightly OT but back in 1981 for a friends 21st birthday (he loved the orange ones) I wrote to Rowntree asking if they could produce a tube of orange only Smarties. Not only did they do it free of charge (their letter explained how difficult the process was) they sent a large tube the kind they produced at Christmas.

In 2010 I wrote to Nestlé asking if it was possible to do the same for his 50th. The answer was a resounding 'no'. How times have changed.

These days service, pride and a good reputation mean nothing to a company. It's all about share holders, large easy profits and doing as little as possible.

One company i worked for years ago would boast every week in their emails how they'd driven profits up and had fewer and fewer customers. How they expect to drive their business down to a hand full of customers prepared to pay in excess of £50million a year is beyond me.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I remember those days well. You found your sweet/crisps weren't quite right and it was like winning the kids version of the pools. I must have received three or four nice big selections over the years sent in return for the not quite right ones.

I don't suppose they do that now.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

@Mav  The orange Smarties were my favourites, too; they were the only ones with a different taste, i.e. orange flavour.  Producing a special tube for what was presumably just one item is called going the extra mile, something most companies seem to have forgotten how to do.

@Steve  Thanks for the suggestion; I've seen the Tesco imitation Snickers but not been brave enough to try them.  I'll give them a go.

Fixes: 238

@Steve  Thanks for the suggestion; I've seen the Tesco imitation Snickers but not been brave enough to try them.  I'll give them a go.

Have you tried a Racer from ALDI? They're very nice and as, the name implies, are based on Snickers (formally Marathon)Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Lidl's do a nice peanut / "Marathon bar" as well. Taste very nice. Full size bars, eighty something p I think for five or so good size bars.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

We have a LIDL's where we live, but it's closed for refurishment at the moment. The've knocked the entire building down and are rebuilding it from scratch. Don't ask me, but it seems a little extereme for a refurb. Shocked

On the subject of sweets, I can think of two things:

1. Are Cadburys Creme Eggs getting smaller, or is it just I'm getting older?
  2. And what have they done to Tolberone?

I am sure we can we think of more to add to the list Tongue

Jonpe
Champion

It's a common trick to reduce the size of something but keep the price unchanged; didn't someone post the ever shrinking tins of Quality Street (and other confectionery) here some time ago?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Coca-Cola did the reduce-the-size, keep-the-price thing a few years back when they dropped their 2 Litre size bottles in favour of their "New and Improved!" 1.75 Litre bottles, and the price at the time stayed the same (later increased), so I switched to Pepsi which has remained at a low price and hasn't poisoned me with the addition of aspartame to their products... Smiley

Jonpe
Champion

According to some TV programme I saw, the pound shops have special sizes of various items produced just for them, thereby effectively making the product fit the £1 price without necessarily being cheaper, and even in some cases costing more, per gramme/litre.

Community Veteran

Yeah, you have to look at the products in places like Poundland and Poundworld carefully, on example is the "Dishmatic" self-dispensing washing up sponge-brush thing, in Tesco I bought some refills for £1.20 (I think), that was for a 3x pack, I later visited Poundland for some cheapskate shopping, saw some Dishmatic refills, £1 for a 2x pack, effectively more expensive than the ones I'd already bought previously...

But on the other hand, they often buy things that you don't normally see, for example, I found Dr. Pepper made in Belgium, therefore wasn't poisoned with Aspartame like the UK-made coca-cola version, AND, something very nostalgic as my dad used to be a delivery driver for them, Smiths crisps, I haven't seen Smiths crisps for years (barring the snacks like Frazzles and scampi pieces), granted thy were the same Walkers crisps, but the Cheese & Onion ones I got tasted different, which I liked... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

You don't know if it from the same factory with a different name. I know where my local coke (the drink that is) factory is, not much to look at I admit.
I can't see it all coming from separate ones.
Community Veteran

Well, given the Dr. Pepper I bought said "Produced and Canned in Belgium by Schweppes", I'd probably believe that it was made in Belgium, and somehow made it's way here to my happy digestive system that reacts badly to aspartame... Smiley

As for the Smiths crisps, I'm pretty sure they were made in a Walkers factory, after all, they own the name, and the texture of the crisps was 100% Walkers, but the flavouring they used was a different recipe, more cheesy than oniony like Walkers' usual ones...

Community Veteran

For a short while the pound/99p shop was the place to go for a bargain.

But then they ran out of bankrupt stock to sell.

Now it's not even really a pound shop anymore as the £2 shelf and £5 shelves have grown and grown along with the "managers specials" shelving of even more expensive items.

Fixes: 238

Comparing cost per litre or per gramme/Kg is important these days but is a little harder to do between shops.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still