cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Whip

Steve
Seasoned Pro

The Whip

Has lost its walnut. Brexit? Nestlé promises the walnut-topped version will still be available in single packs, and in six-packs at Christmas. Not long to go then!!

Edit: fake news, because you can still get them in single packs. Question is for how much longer though?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/16/downward-spiral-walnut-whip-brexit-twitter-nestle

28 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: The Whip

Steve wrote:

Nestlé promises the walnut-topped version will still be available in single packs, and in six-packs at Christmas.

With a price hike, no doubt!

Not sure why an outcry. Just don't buy them any more.

There are many confectionery products I stopped buying because they were no longer good value or the recipe changed too much.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I can easily boycott them as I never eat them. Apparently one is eaten every two seconds. These Walnut Whips originally were not from Nestle though so some of you might remember the proper version.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I haven't had a walnut whip in years, can't say I've ever thought about them in any detail either, infact, I didn't even know they still made them... Funny

Shep41
Rising Star

A lot of chocolate manufactures are cutting down the ingredients in chocolate bars. For example kit kats will soon be kits and double deckers will become deckers 😀😀
Community Veteran

Even though I still eat the odd one they are obviously not the same.

The chocolate is not quite right, The walnut on top is much smaller than it used to be. I guess it had to be to match the reduced size of the whip. And of course the walnut inside was stopped a long time ago.

Shame they don't seem to do the coffee version anymore. I preferred that.

I bought some Topics the other day and they are just wrong. Never mind the now finger size. It had far too much caramel on the top layer and the nougat bit was so soft. I remember the Topic as being quite hard to bite into and full of hazel nuts. Now it's just soft and squishy with barely a nut.

Fixes: 47

billnotben wrote:

Even though I still eat the odd one

I prefer the even ones. The odd ones always taste a bit....odd to me.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I thought this thread was about a Jilly Cooper novel!Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mav wrote:

There are many confectionery products I stopped buying because they were no longer good value or the recipe changed too much.

This.

Sprite, cadbury chocolate (+drinking chocoloate).. those recipes changed big time and no attempt was made to hide it. I remember moons ago when the drinking chocolate changed it tasted like chemicals - i had a right spat with cadbury about it.

There are others.. but i can't remember them at this unearthly hour (just woken up for a bit lol)

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I miss the small Snickers bars you could buy in a bag of about a dozen or so.  I emailed the manufacturers about it and they simply said they couldn't make the supermarkets buy their products.  Any recommendations for own brand ones that taste as good?

The only instant coffee I like is/was Nescafé Gold Blend, so I hated it when it was changed at the turn of the century.  Again I emailed Nestlé and was told that they'd spent millions developing the new version and basically I had to like it or lump it.  I've slowly got used to the new bitter version, but they missed a trick by not continuing to produce the old version as well and calling it Classic, or something similar, with a small surcharge.

@Shep41  Yes, I'll miss the taste of kat in the new Kit bars. Smiley

Slightly OT but back in 1981 for a friends 21st birthday (he loved the orange ones) I wrote to Rowntree asking if they could produce a tube of orange only Smarties. Not only did they do it free of charge (their letter explained how difficult the process was) they sent a large tube the kind they produced at Christmas.

In 2010 I wrote to Nestlé asking if it was possible to do the same for his 50th. The answer was a resounding 'no'. How times have changed.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Champnet
Rising Star

Luzern wrote:

I thought this thread was about a Jilly Cooper novel!Funny

The Subject is more intriguing than the contents..............

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Mav wrote:

Slightly OT but back in 1981 for a friends 21st birthday (he loved the orange ones) I wrote to Rowntree asking if they could produce a tube of orange only Smarties. Not only did they do it free of charge (their letter explained how difficult the process was) they sent a large tube the kind they produced at Christmas.

In 2010 I wrote to Nestlé asking if it was possible to do the same for his 50th. The answer was a resounding 'no'. How times have changed.

Miserable sods.

And I did ask them to let me know the cost as was willing to pay.

What I forgot to add to my previous post is that the tube the Smarties came in from Rowntree only had pictures of the orange ones on it.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Jonpe wrote:

I miss the small Snickers bars you could buy in a bag of about a dozen or so.  I emailed the manufacturers about it and they simply said they couldn't make the supermarkets buy their products.  Any recommendations for own brand ones that taste as good?

While I have not tried them give these a shot. At best they will be nice, if not you have not wasted much coins.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=255912953