cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Wheels of the car, go round and round, round and round......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The Wheels of the car, go round and round, round and round......

Just before I had my MOT this year, I had four new tyres fitted to my car.... Yes, one on each corner, they are all round and black, BUT they have an arrow on the sidewall, showing the direction of rotation...
They all point in the "forward" direction...  nice one... Smiley
problem.... if I get a puncture on the motorway, and along comes the man in the big yellow truck, gets out the spare, and it has a arrow on it saying it goes this way round.
BUT when it is fitted to the car, it will be pointing in the "reverse" direction.....  Shocked
does this mean I now have to carry two spare tyres?
Undecided
17 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: The Wheels of the car, go round and round, round and round......

and how can you change it location to even out tyre wear?
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
does this mean I now have to carry two spare tyres?

No, you just have to drive carefully until you can get it switched round at a tyre repair place.
(especially in wet weather as it's mostly to do with the tread pattern clearing water)
Quote from: pierre_pierre
....even out tyre wear?

I believe that practice is not recommended these days anyway.
Community Veteran

Looks like I shall have to make myself a "bead breaker" and dig out my tyre levers again!... Roll eyes
(yes I do have a compressor, and I have fitted hundreds of tyres in my time)  Smiley
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

This means that every garage has to keep stocks of left-hand tyres and right-hand-tyres in every tyre model/size!  Crazy
You can swap front with rear but your spare must be one of those manky disposable ones. Smiley
That's progress for you.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Axisofevil
This means that every garage has to keep stocks of left-hand tyres and right-hand-tyres in every tyre model/size!  Crazy

Really? - I thought they just turned them round depending on which side of the car they went on? - As long as they go forward the tyre shouldn't know the difference should it?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Didn't think of that. Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

pierre_pierre
Grafter

did you not read the original? the tyres are unidirectional with an Arrow on them
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
Quote from above... "Unidirectional: designed to rotate in only one direction, these tyres enhance straight-line acceleration by reducing rolling resistance. They also provide shorter stopping distance. Unidirectional tyres must be dedicated to a specific side of the vehicle, so the information on the sidewall will always include a rotational direction arrow. Make sure the tyres rotate in this direction or you'll get into all sorts of trouble."
However........  the spare is normally NOT unidirectional, so it can be fitted anywhere, hence no need to carry two!!!
Community Veteran

@ nozzer.... so, next time I need new tyres, I will specify that I  want "non-unidirectional" tyres fitted.... .... so that I can still keep the best tyre (being removed) for a spare.......
Community Veteran

Not sure whether it's advisable to fit non-directional tyres as a "mix" if you leave some directional tyres on, or even whether it would be advisable to put four new non-directional tyres on. Suspensions are carefully tuned to the type of tyre at the design stage. I would check with the manufacturer if I were you. I had a Mondeo ST220 which could only be fitted with a certain specific tyre spec; apparently the car's road behaviour would become dodgy if a different spec tyre was fitted.
You don't really want to lose it on too many corners!
I like your cloud scapes by the way! What camera do you use?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

You'll love this...
http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-rotation.asp
Many tyre manufacturers agree that it is no longer good practice to rotate your tyres in order to extend their legal life. The reasons for this are;
    * Partly worn tyres are more likely to experience punctures – particularly in wet weather conditions.
    * Front tyre deflation will create an under-steer effect which is easier to control than over-steer (the effect produced by a rear tyre deflation)
In the unlikely event that a tyre deflates suddenly, then it is easier to control the vehicle if this occurs at the front of the vehicle. For improved handling and stability it is now recommended that the ‘best’ tyres should always be fitted at the rear of the vehicle. This is irrespective of whether the car is front or rear wheel drive.

I shall ignore such rubbish....

Community Veteran

I thought the main reason that the better tyres should be fitted to the rears is that the weight-bias of most (front-engined) cars is obviously at the front, which means that the rear end has less relative downward force and should be compensated for by fitting the better treads there. Having experienced a severe rear-end spin-out on a bend on a leafy wet road I can fully understand that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

The main problem with the rear tyres being the best is that on most cars (front or rear wheel drive) the majority of the weight is at the front and on hard braking there is a further transfer to the front. This is where you want the best grip to stop as quickly as possible.
In the days before antilock brakes with rear wheeel drive and rear drums it was still quite possible to lock up the rear wheels which meant that the front wheels were doing most of the braking.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Because of the engine sitting over the front wheels, this causes faster wear on the front tyres.
So you put your best treads at the front, as it will be longer before they hit the 1.6mm limit...