cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The US Government is spying on all of us

Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

The US Government is spying on all of us

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data?guni=Network%20front:network-fro...Tongue
Disclosure of the PRISM program follows a leak to the Guardian on Wednesday of a top-secret court order compelling telecoms provider Verizon to turn over the telephone records of millions of US customers.
The participation of the internet companies in PRISM will add to the debate, ignited by the Verizon revelation, about the scale of surveillance by the intelligence services. Unlike the collection of those call records, this surveillance can include the content of communications and not just the metadata.
Some of the world's largest internet brands are claimed to be part of the information-sharing program since its introduction in 2007. Microsoft – which is currently running an advertising campaign with the slogan "Your privacy is our priority" – was the first, with collection beginning in December 2007.
It was followed by Yahoo in 2008; Google, Facebook and PalTalk in 2009; YouTube in 2010; Skype and AOL in 2011; and finally Apple, which joined the program in 2012. The program is continuing to expand, with other providers due to come online.
Collectively, the companies cover the vast majority of online email, search, video and communications networks.

186 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: The US Government is spying on all of us

Well I always thought that Yahoo and FB would at least be targetted by the FEDs for intelligence (explains why facebook is so agressive with its email invites too) and Microsoft isn't  big surprise along with google. Skype however does shock me!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

With reference to this post isn't it easier to spy on VOIP than POTS......just asking Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Wasn't that one of the things that us and "the country of the free" used to say about the USSR at the time of the cold war. That its people couldn't draw a breath without their Soviet masters knowing.
Haven't times changed. Sad
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Steve
Pro

Seen the title of the thread and Instantly thought... Ah Midnight Caller has posted this. Then realised Oldjim posted It so thought...Oh this must be bad...( No Offence Midnight Caller ) Crazy Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: Kelly
And our gov is using it too: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/07/uk-gathering-secret-intelligence-nsa-prism

Yes..
The question is though do you have anything to tell us Kelly or is Plusnet in denial?
Razer
Grafter

I had to laugh at this:
In its statement about Prism, Google said it "cares deeply about the security of our users' data. We disclose user data to government in accordance with the law, and we review all such requests carefully. From time to time, people allege that we have created a government 'back door' into our systems, but Google does not have a back door for the government to access private user data".

No, of course not. You just give it to them through their own - very wide - front door.
A have also to laugh at any surprise at this from those who would typically think 'oh, no, we have privacy, there are laws in place, our government is good, they wouldn't spy on us' etc. etc. When will people learn?  - We are nothing and tyrannical government will do all that they can to do all that they want, and whenever they want.
Devonian
Grafter

Is anybody really that naive to think this actually was not happening?
Just look at ANPR cameras on every street corner... and that's just the visible part of the spy network.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Steve_M
Seen the title of the thread and Instantly thought... Ah Midnight Caller has posted this. Then realised Oldjim posted It so thought...Oh this must be bad...( No Offence Midnight Caller ) Crazy Grin

LOL! Actually I thought the same thing (no offence intended to MC and OJ)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
Is anybody really that naive to think this actually was not happening?
Just look at ANPR cameras on every street corner... and that's just the visible part of the spy network.

Quote from: billnotben
Wasn't that one of the things that us and "the country of the free" used to say about the USSR at the time of the cold war. That its people couldn't draw a breath without their Soviet masters knowing.
Haven't times changed. Sad

Bit of role reversal gone on over the years eh? Russia is slowly easing up and the west is becoming more and more paranoid about its citizens.
Devonian
Grafter

Very much so Mr Sprite.
It seem's we are sleeping walking into a modern day dictatorship.
Community Veteran

As predicted, the governments GCHQ couldn't resist either - like bees to a honey pot:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/gchq-prism-spying-claims-deeply-alarming-182453730.html#stSLtoq
So again Kelly, Bob, James, anything you'd like to tell us in an honest fashion?  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

You keep saying that.
Nothing which has been said anywhere infers or implies that any UK based telecoms company is affected or indeed implicated in this action by the US Government against multinational companies based in the USA so I totally fail to see why Plusnet should or indeed would need to respond
These are the companies involved or implicated http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/07/nsa-prism-records-surveillance-questions?guni=Network%20...Tongue
Which companies are in the scheme?
Microsoft was the first to be included, in September 2007. Yahoo followed in March 2008, Google in January 2009, Facebook in June 2009, Paltalk, a Windows- and mobile-based chat program, in December 2009, YouTube in September 2010, Skype in February 2011 (before its acquisition by Microsoft), AOL in March 2011 and finally Apple in October 2012.
Now whether using Yahoo email (BT) or Googlemail (Sky) means that data could have been accessed I don't know but since Plusnet have their own email system even that doesn't apply to them
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
You keep saying that.

I asked tongue in cheek.. twice. I'd hardly call that "keep saying that".. Wink