cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Tesco/Asda delivery scam?

Steve
Seasoned Pro

The Tesco/Asda delivery scam?

Now I know that with Tesco delivery saver I have to spend a minimum of £40.00 OK I thought I will shop at Asda. I was £25.00 minimum spend when I done my shopping. Was happy with that as I didn't need to spend much more. But after looking at the ' Asda delivery saver ' check out the screen grab attachment. Delivery saver =£40.00 minimum spend. No delivery saver =£25.00 ,minimum spend. What is going on!!
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: The Tesco/Asda delivery scam?

Depends where you are, the help page FAQ covers it
Is there a minimum order amount?
The minimum order amount is £25 for the majority of our stores. This does however vary in certain parts of the country and will be displayed once you log in to your account.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Gus but if I don't buy a pass I will get a minimum basket of £25.00 or if I buy a pass I have to spend £40.00 I logged in see my screen grab.

Asda: Minimum £25 grocery spend. If your basket is under £25, you can't get home delivery. Delivery costs £1-£6. Asda is also trialling a £40 minimum grocery spend for all stores within the M25, and a further 54 stores around the country (see the forum thread below for a full list), although no end date has been given for the trial. Customers with a six month or 12 month delivery pass also have a £40 minimum order value.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2015/07/tesco-hikes-minimum-spend-to-avoid-delivery-s...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If I were you Steve I wouldn't bother - the service is pretty bad and has been on BBC Watchdog several times.
They substitute items frequently and usually give you something totally unsuitable, items go missing.. sometimes frozen stuff comes through ice cold but defrosting...
We use it but we've got used to the abysmal service. We've just come to accept that we'll get bits of junk on a weekly basis.
The missus used to go to the store to do the shopping but since 7up jnr came about she stopped doing it as she was getting too tired.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Tesco's minimum price used to be £50 for delivery, but the delivery saver option can be really good value for money (I paid £15 for the 12 months midweek) especially if you regularly use them
Iceland otoh has always been a £25 minimum order for delivery, of course they stopped doing the online delivery bit for a few years which was a P.I.T.A. but they brought it back a couple of years ago and its been pretty decent ever since.
@7up,
the substitutions system used to be utterly bonk but since they allowed you to specify the replacement items the computer no longer randomly suggests citrus burst bleach instead of citrus fruit ....... of course you have to put in the effort to customise the options, and there is still the annoying odd item they just say unavailable for instead of providing the suitable alternative, best bargain I had off them though was ordered a standard bottle of el chepo port for cooking and got a 1ltr 25 yr old special reserve in its place, annoying because I then had to buy the cheap stuff but lovely to get something  priced at £65 for a fiver  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: nanotm
best bargain I had off them though was ordered a standard bottle of el chepo port for cooking and got a 1ltr 25 yr old special reserve in its place, annoying because I then had to buy the cheap stuff but lovely to get something  priced at £65 for a fiver  Wink

I can beat that... I got an entire PC for less that you'd think! It came with everything - including a widescreen monitor.. for less than the price of windows 7  Crazy
Of course i did have to go to the store to find it... so not quite sure that counts in the home delivery discussion lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah they do have some great substitutions especially if you leave the comment section vague along the lines of " any other xxx please"  which is the one I most often use since it gives them the greatest latitude when offering alternatives of the same item, I too had a similar experience with the delivery service when I bought something from the technology dept online (except I had mine delivered) I selected the substitutions option and asked for "any other windows 7" and got a complete hp pc like you for £95 but that was many years ago when w7 was worth that kind of cash, I was of course both elated and perturbed, being in the habit of building my own and having a healthy dislike of big company pre-build's, actually needing the software for my then current project (pc for one of the kids) and knowing I had to build another 3 of them afterwards, well I ended up ordering the software 3 more times then selling the half finished pre build (for more than the price paid for one of those hp units) and 2 years later getting them something decent anyway ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I recently started using Asda's delivery service, mostly due to it being far cheaper to use than it is to get the bus to the one in Stanleh, not had any issues, and an order once a month using the £1 slots means I only pay £12 a year in total, not had any substitutions so far, but, I turned off substitutions, if they ain't got what I want, then I don't want an alternative, even if I do miss out on the erroneous ones listed in the thread here... Grin
greyposter
Grafter

It's been fine here in South Gloucester (ASDA) and because I have Asbestos Plaques and other COPD it suits me.