cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Sun!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The Sun!

Well we all heard of the sun haven't we?!

Well for many years it's been one of the tools of choice for Rupert Murdoch to influence the nation.

Now NASA scientists think they've found a way to use "The Sun" that cannot be exploited by Murdoch.. or anyone else other than the USA government:

(Scroll to the bottom):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4392150/NASA-develop-artificial-gravity-device.html

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: The Sun!

Can't help but look at the first picture and see something that ol' daily fail ripped from a Star trek fan creation site, a Merian-class starship (non-canon and comic/novel-featured only, so never seen on TV, but recreated by people who know how to do 3D modelling)...

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Merian_class

3F0DE7F800000578-0-image-a-4_1491603155992

Uss_planck.jpg

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Not sure how they are laying claim to the sun from that article but interesting all the same.

Would such a drive system allow us to explore the universe as even our own tiny galaxy in comparison to others is 100,00 light years across so any propulsion system is never going to be enough even if it hits the speed of light - or have I got that wrong? Reading earlier here  about the distance travelled by radio waves in the last 100 years and it seems they still have a fair way to go before they even get to the edge of the Milky Way.

Staggering distances impossible to imagine.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Physics as we know it today prevent us travelling up to and past the speed of light, but then, physics of 100 years ago didn't imagine television, LED lighting, or communicating with people across the globe instantly, and 300 years ago, seemingly simple things like radio wasn't even an idea, so, who knows what could happen in the next 100 years, granted we won't be hopping galaxies just yet, but we could be travelling to other planets in the solar system from Earth within hours... Smiley

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Not sure how they are laying claim to the sun from that article but interesting all the same.

You clearly didn't read to the bottom of the article then!

If you had, you'd note the part about NASA using the sun as a giant magnifying glass to see other planets in other solar systems with much improved vision. There is even a small picture showing how the optical side of it would work in theory.

Like I said.. not something Murdoch would have any influence over!

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

LOL..., the thought of doing something like that takes me back to my evil childhood days. I loved chasing ants with a magnifying glass. Makes me wonder if this idea ever became reality would we potentially fry the inhabitants of any of those planets?

1206048017_1029.jpg

Maybe you should check this link out too..., the write up below it is quite commical

Space optical focusing carrier 太空光学聚焦母舰

14300000719183127060356308660.jpeg

Minivanman
Hero

@7up

I did read it all, but how is Murdoch laying claim to the sun?

Maybe I'm just missing the joke if there is one. Sad

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

What other paper that he owns took over from news of the world on Sunday?

Hint :it has the same name as that big ball of fire in the sky..
Minivanman
Hero

The Morning Star? Smiley