cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Sun and driving

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The Sun and driving

The Sun at commuting times is quite low down at this time of year. Pity those commuters on the M4 which runs for almost most of its length along a E and W direction and to a lesser extent the A40/M40, M4 users get the sun in their eyes in the morning on their way towards London and again going home in the evening. There must be many other roads around the country that suffer the same problems.
Having experienced the M4 at these times, the sun while unpleasant can be coped with, with sunglasses and the cars fitted blinds.
But far worse in my opinion is the low sun from the side that shines through lines of trees, I can find this very unpleasant stroboscopic effect almost hypnotic, and I have to say potentially dangerous.
Anyone else? 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: The Sun and driving

I occasionally drive south on the A61 south of Sheffield and around a certain time of the day the sun can be at bonnet level.
The sun visor is no use as if it extended low enough to hide the sun I wouldn't be able to see anything of the road ahead.
Sunglasses would help but they are usually in the glove box Roll eyes
When it has been raining and the sun is slightly higher in the sky you get the sunlight direct plus reflected off the wet road.
You dare not brake because you are aware that the guy behind you is in a similar situation so you hope the guy in front keeps going.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Never read the Sun while driving. It puts you off your swing.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
But far worse in my opinion is the low sun from the side that shines through lines of trees, I can find this very unpleasant stroboscopic effect almost hypnotic, and I have to say potentially dangerous.

Wasn't there an accident blackspot where it was found that at the speed limit the sun shining through a line of trees induced epileptics fits in susceptible drivers?
Fixes: 125

If you just happen to get a glare in your eyes at the wrong angle then you can end up with a bad after-image which can obscure your vision somewhat.
Sunglasses certainly help reduce the effects.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 125

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Never read the Sun while driving. It puts you off your swing.

No different from having a quick glance at the Mirror Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Petlew

Anyone else? 

You can sometimes eliminate much of that effect by swinging the sun visor to the side window - not sure if all cars allow you to do that though.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Agreed, I think all but the very low budget cost cars will swing their visors.
The problem is often when the sun is at an angle say around 45 deg to the right when the visor is needed in the straight ahead as well as directly from the side. By the time the visor has been swung round the trees have been passed leaving you blinded to the ahead direction.
There's no real adequate answer for this short of chopping down all the trees within half a mile of a road, obviously unacceptable to most people.
I don't know but I would guess that the low sun is a factor in a lot of accidents.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I use the A128 most mornings and have this same problem - sun in my eyes that the sun visor really  doesn't cope with. let's not complain though, at least the sun is shining Smiley