cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Stable Door......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The Stable Door......

Caught part of a news report on telly this morning. about some guy randomly stabbing people in London, and ufortunately one victim, a lady of 60 years, died at the scene.

Got the usual statement from some senior police bod, about the perpetrator,.. and he has said the main lead of the inquiry into this "incident" will focus on the persons "mental health"..  and a secondary line of inquiry will be to see if there is any terrorism links.

he further stated that " the people of London, will notice, in the morning, an increased police presence, some of them armed, to reassure the public of their safety and security..

WOT  ? 

Questions like....

does he think that there are others in the same location that are going to carry out similar attacks

Where did these "extra" police men come from,..... suddenly.   were they all at home drinking tea ?

why were these "extra" police not on the streets as a matter of course?

How long will these "extra" police be effectively "reassuring" the public? and what happens when they "disappear" again.?

does he really think that a "show of force"........  after the event.... actually DOES reassure people?........

or does it, actually show the inadequacies of our Police forces.

The above questions, never seem to be put forward by the interviewer on camera,... 

Just make me think....

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: The Stable Door......

Extra armed police were announced two days ago, not just because of this incident. They have been training existing police officers in the use of firearms. Before that they were doing what they have to without firearms. It's not just in Russel Square, it's all over the capital. They will be there indefinitely. It is designed to try to reassure against terrorist attacks, and for my money it's better than nowt.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

This might be effective for London and the major cities but there are many other venues outside these cities where large groups of people gather.

All these murderers will do is figure that if the cities are better protected then go for other venues.

Having said that I can offer no additional ideas that can make the place safer but one thing that does need to be considered is the number of people who have been classed as, 'mentally ill' who carry out these attacks, at one time such people could be identified and offered help, sometimes against their wishes but these days mental illness just seems to be ignored even when relatives or friends or even the person themselves has asked for help but no help has been given usually due to lack of facilities.

Community Veteran

I was in central London yesterday and close to Russell Square. I noticed a much heavier police presence everywhere and many of the Police were armed. I have to say it was reassuring to see them.

This week the Commissioner announced the addition of 600 additional officers in London all trained to use firearms, and the introduction of the new CTSFO unit.

It was a coincidence that around the time of high publicity of the new measures there was an incident last night in Russell Square. It was dealt with efficiently by the Police and the attacker was apprehended with the use of a taser.

Minivanman
Hero

Does any sane person kill somebody else?

I'm damned sure they do, so when I read "mental health" as an immediate response then sorry, it sounds like a cop out to me and one that's used more often now than it ever was. Sure there are head cases out there that do terrible things but you can bet your bottom dollar many more know exactly what they are doing and the implication.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

People who kill without a good reason usually have something wrong with them, either through severe influence (E.G. such as conditioning by terrorist groups) or psychological problems that are either genetic or inflicted, but there's no good reason to kill in a civilised society, regardless of whether they're broken or just "acting on orders" from some influential (and often fanatical and "psychologically damaged") person...

Minivanman
Hero

Sorry, but I will never in a million years accept "conditioning by terrorists groups" as an excuse for slaughtering innocent people.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman

I agree with you. All day we've had the usual muesli munching, sandal wearing lefties trying to justify his action. Let's think about his victim first.

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Sorry, but I will never in a million years accept "conditioning by terrorists groups" as an excuse for slaughtering innocent people.  

It absolutely isn't, as I said, it's conditioning by other people who are broken in the head, who are far too cowardly to do their own killing, which is still not a good enough reason to kill another human being anyway...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Problem is ,,,,,,, if so called terrorists see extra police in London ?  will they be swayed and decide to attack another town ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero

Good point and similar to the way rural communities get targeted by criminals away from those main town surveillance cameras but, terrorist will always go for high profile areas?

Minivanman
Hero

Fair enough.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

But  imagine if there was an attack ,,, say near Rosyth  WOW  bigger news than wimpy london

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

Problem is ,,,,,,, if so called terrorists see extra police in London ?  will they be swayed and decide to attack another town ?

There's an old idium that describes it perfectly; You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't...

Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

The likes of ISIS look for maximum impact and tend to go for targets where they can cause the maximum carnage. London is currently on a 'Severe' threat level in response to this. The Police Commissioner recently made it clear that it is a case of when, not if, an attack takes place. I am pleased to see they are taking all steps to try to alleviate such an attack.