cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Scottish Question

Community Veteran

The Scottish Question

As regular contributors will know, I'm not always a fan of SNP (no really), but I've got to admit that at least their question has a yes or no answer.  The Electoral Commission questions are clearly nonsense:
"Do you agree or disagree that Scotland should become an independent country?" - er... "yes"
"Should Scotland become an independent country or should it remain part of the United Kingdom?" - "no"!
But how far does that get us? The UK Government said that what was needed was a yes or no question, and I agree.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17982560
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: The Scottish Question

Of course it should be yes or no.
All systems of voting should be as simple as possible but the SNP are trying to add other things so if they get a no vote on one it's possible they may either get a yes vote on one of the other issues they want passing.
Personally I think they have made a bad mistake, what they should have done is allow the English to be the only ones to vote on this issue as it seems (from press reports) there are more people in England who want Scotland to have independence that the number of people in Scotland who want it.
tinto
Grafter

Simple and unambiguous question
"Should Scotland become an independent country?"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: tinto
Simple and unambiguous question

Agreed, "yes" or "no" no complications.
But surely it should be up to the English. It was a Scottish King that 'forced' England to join Scotland and become the United Kingdom. Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

The Scottish government has indicated that the question to be put to voters in 2014 is likely to be: "Do you agree that Scotland should become an independent country?"

Sounds like the Scottish Parliament has got this one right.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The two countries have tried going their seperate ways many times in the past and it always leads to one thing - war.
In this country we have a fatal weakness: Not learning from our previous mistakes.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
The two countries have tried going their seperate ways many times in the past and it always leads to one thing - war.
In this country we have a fatal weakness: Not learning from our previous mistakes.

@ Sprite
The SNP have the right to call for a referendum by winning a majority of seats in the Scottish Parliament, something the voting system was specifically designed to make virtually  impossible.
However both sides of the argument have still to put their case to the Scottish electorate as to why we should vote for them and not for the other side.  Thus far all we do know for certain is that the SNP  want to keep the Queen as Head of State, they want to use Sterling as our currency, and they reckon this entitles future Scottish Governments a seat on the Bank of England Board: to all of which I at least say " Aye, that will be right".
My own view, and this still seems to be the view of the majority of the electorate here, is that I'm opposed to total separation, it would cause more grief than it's worth.
If we do separate I've no problem with the Queen as Head of State, in Scotland, but no one knows if she or her successor(s) would actually want the job, or if a Westminster Parliament would agree to it.  As to the currency question, you have to ask, what security would an independent Scotland have using Sterling when the power to revalue it would lie with a Westminster Chancellor, who would quite rightly act in the best interests of the rest of the UK?
On the other hand, if we were separate, we'd be free of the dead hand of the coalition government, to take action to expand our own economy. which is a major attraction.  We most certainly didn't vote for the Tory part, relatively few voted for the LibDem part, and only two Scottish Lib Dem MP's  would accept Government office, but we're still stuck with much of the pain they're inflicting on the nation. 
The feeling in Scotland is that as the only part of the UK with no devolved powers, England just doesn't understand devolution,  particularly that it's an on going process.  You have to realise  that the toothpaste is out of the tube and you can't put it back: Scotland is only leading in the desire for more self determination, Wales and Ireland will be expressing the same desires soon.  There is a future for the UK as a Federal State, but the stus Quo won't be viable for very much longer
NewStu
Grafter

I think it would be reasonable to assume that the Queen and her successors would want to add any seperate Scottish crown to the portfollio of positions held. There are some nice castles and palaces to be had. And could be good from a tax return point of view, with possibly lower rates and travel expenses to be claimed. Perchance even a Royal Yacht to be had  Wink
NewStu