cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Salt Fix

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

The Salt Fix

Have heard about the new book called "The Salt Fix" ? It says the vast majority of us don't need to watch our salt intake. In fact, for most of us, more salt would be advantageous to your health.

The Salt Fix tells the story of how salt became unfairly demonized and took the fall for another white crystal: sugar.

In fact, too little salt can:
Cause you to crave sugar and refined carbs.
Send the body into semi-starvation mode.
Lead to weight gain, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, and increased blood pressure and heart rate.

On the other hand, eating the salt your body desires can:

Improve everything from your sleep, energy, and mental focus to your fitness, fertility, and sexual performance
And stave off common chronic illnesses, including heart disease.

Do you think its right?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3671550/avoiding-salt-makes-you-fat-type-2-diabetes/

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: The Salt Fix

Here's a link if you want to avoid the one provided above!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd take it with a pinch of salt......................... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Leapy wrote:

In fact, too little salt can:
Cause you to crave sugar and refined carbs.
Send the body into semi-starvation mode.
Lead to weight gain, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, and increased blood pressure and heart rate.

On the other hand, eating the salt your body desires can:

Improve everything from your sleep, energy, and mental focus to your fitness, fertility, and sexual performance
And stave off common chronic illnesses, including heart disease.

Do you think its right?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3671550/avoiding-salt-makes-you-fat-type-2-diabetes/

Personally, I have never bothered with all these so-called warnings about this or that food being good or bad for you,

I put salt on all my meals,... especially on my Lettuce and tomato sarnies...  strange how putting salt on sliced tomatoes makes them taste sweet, as opposed to without salt, they taste "vinigary" (?)  

I have two teaspoons of sugar in my mugs of tea, at least 4 per day.

and as mentioned in a reply to another "foolish" poster on another thread.. I am fit and healthy at 73... 

and so... in answer to your final question.... Do you think this is right?...... in my case.... YES   I do...

Fixes: 125

My dad put lots of salt on his food and smoked 40 Players/Senior Service a day and lived till 90.

I don't like a lot of salt and have a very sweet tooth but at 6'4" I am less than 13 stone although I do suffer from insomnia. Can't bloody win Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I used to use quite a lot of salt daily, i cut down thinking it would lower my borderline high blood pressure. The body can also gain weight if the intake of salt is a lot because you will drink more. Remember the bowl of peanuts in the pub free to help yourself.

Community Veteran

Steve wrote:

Remember the bowl of peanuts in the pub free to help yourself.

One thing I remember about free bowls of snacks in pubs and bars was a study done on them to find out what was on them, not all of the salty taste was factory-applied salt, some of it was urine from people not having washed their hands!!! Shocked

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Agreed, not very hygienic but served it's purpose to make you drink more. I always went to the bottom of the bowl when I fancied them.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Often eat crisps with salt on them along with many other things that are claimed not to be good for you.

I suspect the body has a way of dealing with an excess of anything in moderation providing common sense is applied.

You can even kill yourself by drinking to much water to excess.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Steve wrote:

I always went to the bottom of the bowl when I fancied them.

Ah but @Steve you need to remember liquid will always gravitate downwards. Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

twocvbloke wrote:

Steve wrote:

Remember the bowl of peanuts in the pub free to help yourself.

One thing I remember about free bowls of snacks in pubs and bars was a study done on them to find out what was on them, not all of the salty taste was factory-applied salt, some of it was urine from people not having washed their hands!!! Shocked

It's not so much the urine I would be bothered about but other things that might be on their hands.

Wink

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

but other things that might be on their hands.

Wink

Indeed, knobcheese & onion, not appealing.... Shocked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

gleneagles wrote:

You can even kill yourself by drinking to much water to excess.

Yeh !... it`s called "drowning".... ! !  Cheesy

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Everything in moderation, simple. Besides, it's genetics that get you in the end - not lifestyle and not diet.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

Yeh !... it`s called "drowning".... ! !  Cheesy

Nah, that's from breathing the stuff, not recommended, the drinking too much part is called hyponatremia, where the sodium level in the blood gets so low that it can be fatal, also not recommended, no matter how much someone insists the water diet is great for weight loss... Grin