cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The SNP's Independence 'Tunnel Vision'

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: The SNP's Independence 'Tunnel Vision'

Maybe so @AlaricAdair but she is proving to be way out of her depth on the big issues. A statement from the Scottish Government for anyone interested.

http://news.gov.scot/news/pm-bid-to-block-scotlands-choice-undemocratic-and-unsustainable

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

But what they're arguing is that they were promised if Scotts voted No then they would guarantee their membership in the EU, on the SNP  website it claims Ruth Davidson made that promise, I can't remember at the time as I wasn't following it that closely.

Update: I found a video of Ruth Davidson stating it.

I've found a video on Question Time claiming it was David Cameron who made the claim 

And their membership IS guaranteed until we leave Wink

As for What Ruth Davidson & David Cameron promised, whan did you ever trust a politician? :O

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@w23 wrote:

And their membership IS guaranteed until we leave Wink

Exactly which is why this has come about. 

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said:

“As I set out earlier this week, we are not proposing a referendum now - we are proposing to give the people of Scotland a choice once Brexit is clear but before it is too late.

“The PM does not appear to have listened to our proposal.

shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My view is that the Scotts should get another referendum but not until we as a United Kingdom have left the EU first, since brexiting will tie up civil servant departments & resources working at unravelling the bureaucratic nightmare of EU legislation / laws, it will also weaken our hand during the negotiations.

Furthermore there will be Scotts who wish to seek true independence but not be a member of the EU, so the SNP if they win the Yes vote should also put forward a referendum asking if they would like to rejoin the EU but under much different economic circumstances than what they were when a member of the UK. Their shrunken economy will obviously influence the outcome of their negotiation with the EU as an independent country.

It's likely the EU will insist on this anyway, due to the change in circumstance they will not get the same kind of deal as we currently have, as I stated earlier they need to have a deficit of 3% or less where they are now estimated to be at around 9%, plus any one member state like Spain could veto them joining, so likewise the SNP cannot guarantee Scotts that if they vote Yes they will automatically stay a member of the EU under the same terms as now. Independent Scotland 'would have to apply to join EU' – Brussels official

I'd like to add that if the Indy ref backfires for a 2nd time then the SNP's reign in Scotland as the majority governing party will end, which will be very helpful to Labour regaining back their old ground, it could be the only way they can do it, i think Jeremy Corbyn knows this.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Business for Scotland responds to the latest development.

“The Fraser of Allander Institute Long-term Economic Implications of Brexit Report states employment in Scotland will be cut by 80,000 jobs, Scotland’s economic growth will be reduced by £8 billion, real wages will fall by £2,000 per person per year, exports will be cut by 11% and the Chancellor has indicated Scotland’s share of the UK debt will increase by £10bn over 5 years to pay for Brexit that Scotland voted against.

http://www.businessforscotland.com/business-scotland-responds-theresa-mays-threat-block-scotref/

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@7up wrote:

@Steve wrote:

But I get a feeling Theresa May might want a vote to see if there is an appetite in Scotland

I get the feeling she has no intention of giving you a second vote.

Well I heard yesterday that TM proved me right... Sorry Steve, you have to look at the bigger picture thats going on.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@RobPN wrote:

Prescriptions to rise by 20p in England

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39292909

That'll probably help to cover the cost of free prescriptions in Scotland then.

Ssh!!! The Scots will hate us even more for it! We're not supposed to point out the perks they have that are provided by Westminster which the rest of us don't get.

Community Veteran

@Steve wrote:

@7up You quoted me on that one video. I am sorry but I don't see anything radical about it. On the old forum you were always posting how somehow it was always the older generation scuppering things for the younger generation. Yet here we have the younger generation voting for independence and now it is radical? 

Sorry it wasn't eh video i was quoting it was your text. The video didn't show up in the quote when i was replying hence it never got deleted.

Yes the older generations do make life hard for the younger generations you are correct and i stand by that. It won't change though if Scotland goes indy - you've still got just as many old timers as the rest of us.

Breaking apart a relationship that has worked for years will only result in trouble. At some point Scotland will run itself into a pickle and then it'll be the fault of the english for letting you go it alone. When we don't want to get involved and bail you out for your mistakes the political tensions will rise.. and we all know how that usually goes.

It just isn't worth it Steve. You get your free education, prescriptions and other perks, please just be flaming grateful. They don't listen to us down here either.

Community Veteran

@AlaricAdair wrote:

I don't particularly like Mrs May, but you can't says she's not an effective political leader. When she arrived she castrated the Eton crew; she neutralised BoJo by making him Foreign Secretary, costing him loads of money in the process; she forced the Chancellor to U-turn; she's dealt with Hesletine and she told the strident Scottish Lady to take a hike. Also,she got the Brexit legislation through unscathed.

This +1.

She may not be as fierce as Maggie but she's certainly not stupid either. She got rid of Georgie boy almost instantly and humiliated him the finest way she could while giving the nation what they wanted - kicked out via the back door. We all knew she did that to make the nation smile - unofficially of course.

She doesn't make a lot of noise but it seems she does sit around doing a lot of thinking.

Community Veteran

@Steve wrote:

Business for Scotland responds to the latest development.

“The Fraser of Allander Institute Long-term Economic Implications of Brexit Report states employment in Scotland will be cut by 80,000 jobs, Scotland’s economic growth will be reduced by £8 billion, real wages will fall by £2,000 per person per year, exports will be cut by 11% and the Chancellor has indicated Scotland’s share of the UK debt will increase by £10bn over 5 years to pay for Brexit that Scotland voted against.

http://www.businessforscotland.com/business-scotland-responds-theresa-mays-threat-block-scotref/

Steve all the way through this thread all i've seen you post is links to scottish publications. You don't link to english stuff. You're being fed and fuelled by scottish propaganda and you don't seem to even realise it.

Remember project fear by Dave and George? - Look how that turned out - nothing happened. You can't believe everything you're told.. especially by those who are trying to sway the voting public. They will say anything to appeal to the masses.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

If Scotland did get a referrendum and the SNP were successful, what would happen if things went pear shaped ?

Another referrendum for Scotland to rejoin the UK.

We have those in the UK wanting a second referrendum because they did not agree with the outcome of the first one and are doing their best to put every obstacle in the way.

Perhaps we should have a referrendum to ban any further referrendums, I guess most people are fed up about hearing the word.

As for TM not doing so well, I can only repeat the question I keep asking which no one has answered, likely because they are unable to do so.

Question: Out of the 650 members of the government name one who you would rather have as PM.?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Did you know that Wales is 26 percent the size of Scotland.

Does that count for anything? Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

@gleneagles - I don't think for one second that the SNP have even considered that. Fail! Never.

Even if it did the referendum should be held by the rest of the country as to whether they wanted Scotland back!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Theresa May will be out of a job by the end of the year I can bet my money on it. @gleneagles if we were to become independent and things went south the only thing that wouldn't be going back south is power. As to picking a PM out of 650 politicians if only it were that easy lol.

@7up I post Scottish articles because they have more credibility than anything coming out of WM or the BBC.

But every time I post about this subject almost no one here agrees with me lol, but what I have noticed and fair play to you all ( well most of you )  is that you believe Scotland should have a second referendum and that is a big change from 2014.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Best start counting your money before you lose it then. 

I have no time for the Tories but this lady is doing a splendid job from what I have seen so far but, you are right about picking a PM out of the rest of the sorry bunch.