Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rise of the Right

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

The Rise of the Right

Europe is looking uglier that ever with the rise of the right, and every single country listed other that Switzerland (which is a member in all but name) is part of the EU. Coincidence? I think not, and it is not an organisation that I want to recognise by way of an election or be a member of. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36130006

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
9 REPLIES 9
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: The Rise of the Right

Clearly the UK is not included, but does that tell the truth about us? Are you @Minivanman telling us there is none here, and it is not growing? Some may have patriotic feelings driving our exit from the EU, but I cannot but feel that some would pervert that in to nationalism. To me the new UKIP leadership smells of it and racism.

Some will have been caused by EU attitudes, and needs to change to moderate or avoid the slide, but I still feel safer in than out.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Well no I am not saying that, but UKIP is not the BNP neither is racism a preserve of the Right. 

Britain has never been dominated by the political filth that is on the rise in Europe neither have we a history of it holding the reigns of power as it did in Vichy France, Nazi Germany, Francoist Spain or the Black Shirts in Italy.

Need I go on?

Mosley and his mob we know was stamped on by the working class of Whitechapel in London, National Action in England has been proscribed as has Scottish Dawn north of the border. Can we say the same for those that have taken root in Europe and have any even UKIP, come anywhere near the number of votes cast for them.

Safer in that out you say? Not from where I'm standing.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Edit.

Rein not reign of course. 

Not always enough time to correct autocorrect, or enough attention to notice.Roll_eyes

Luzern
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern 

Well no I am not saying that, but UKIP is not the BNP neither is racism a preserve of the Right. 

Britain has never been dominated by the political filth that is on the rise in Europe neither have we a history of it holding the reigns of power as it did in Vichy France, Nazi Germany, Francoist Spain or the Black Shirts in Italy.

Need I go on?

Mosley and his mob we know was stamped on by the working class of Whitechapel in London, National Action in England has been proscribed as has Scottish Dawn north of the border. Can we say the same for those that have taken root in Europe and have any even UKIP, come anywhere near the number of votes cast for them.

Safer in that out you say? Not from where I'm standing.

We shall continue to respectfully disagree(refer earlier postsWink) OK Mosley was dealt with, and organisations proscribed, but in Mosleys time there were substantial fellow travellers of the Nazi/Facist cause in the UK. Who is to say, that under the right (i.e. bad economic and social conditions), what we see as insignificant will not gain power and ascendancy.

One should not guess the future by the past; the more so to support a position held  on another serious matter.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Where is the disagreement?

Luzern
Hero

I read you as saying we couldn't/ wouldn't be the same as over there.

BTW I am fully with you on the matter of left-right extremism

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

That was not how I meant it to come over, I was just saying we do not have a history of extremism taking root, or Gods forbid, being in government.  

Luzern
Hero

@Minivanman  and it's probably just me a t m. Wife says I'm always like a sore with a bear head, before a performance or such.

Comes from self doubt.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well for those who think the Right is not on the rise in Europe, check out the result of the Spanish elections, and for those with memories of the 30s, check out (and again if you have to) 'Homage to Catalonia' by George Orwell, a man way ahead of his time.