cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Queen

Community Veteran

The Queen

This week H M The Queen became the oldest living Monarch in the world with the death of Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah
Later this year she will reach another landmark when she becomes the longest reigning British Monarch. On 15th September she will overtake Queen Victoria who is currently the longest reigning British Monarch.
Although she is handing some of her duties to other members of the Royal Family she is still an active person especially for an 88 year old.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The Queen

She is amazing for her age, as is Prince Phillip.
Marksfish
Grafter

Long live Lizzie. I also hope that when the inevitable comes, Charles hands over to William. Although I don't believe for one minute he will give up his destiny .
Mark
Fixes: 125

I have a lot of respect for H.M.
Some may think she remains aloof and, therefore, is outdated in modern society but I feel it is how it should be. She stands for stability, trust and integrity.
Queen Camilla - no thanks. Lets go for queen Kate - would she officially be known as Catherine?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Marksfish
Grafter

No like button, so this instead.
Community Veteran

That's one big like button Mark.
@Mav, I seem to remember that when Kate became a princess the Palace tried to get us to know her as Catherine but it hasn't worked has it? I think she will always be Kate whether this is as a princess or queen. It's a bit like Diana who was often referred to as Di Smiley
Heloman
Grafter

I totally agree that the Queen has done a marvellous job for this country.
However, not everyone agrees:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/554004/Queen-HOMELESS-Green-Party-council-house
Shocked
Fixes: 125

With H.M. looking as good as she does maybe the next king will be George VII Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Marksfish
Grafter

I come from a family of Royalists. I don't luuurve them, but I do think they do good for the country. I also took the Queen's money when I was younger and my Grandad used to stand to attention for the Queen's speech. I have loads of photos of the flowers outside Clarence house when Di died and I think the Royal family have had more than their fair share of annus horribilli (did I make that up  Smiley). That said, I think the new batch coming through show themselves to be more in touch with their subjects and will be much better for the country than their tree hugging father.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When she retires.... ( or expires )... whichever comes first... and Charles becomes King... will he become the oldest "new" king?  or will he do the decent thing, and bypass himself, in favour of the next in line...
I think he has done more to damage the Royal Family, than others...
Community Veteran

Quote from: Heloman
I totally agree that the Queen has done a marvellous job for this country.
However, not everyone agrees:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/554004/Queen-HOMELESS-Green-Party-council-house
Shocked

I wonder how true that story really is?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Given that it is in most of the papers - probably more or less http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4332674.ece
Under her plans, the monarchy would be abolished, with the royal family thrown out of Buckingham Palace. “I can’t see that the Queen is ever going to be really poor, but I’m sure we can find a council house for her — we’re going to build lots more,” Ms Bennett says.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
She is amazing for her age, as is Prince Phillip.

I think she gets a lot of support from Philip. I always enjoy his gaffes.
Philip's Gaffes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

She was 25 when she had her coronation and a smart bit of stuff. I was 5 at the time and have grown old with her and Charles is my contemporary within two weeks of my age.
Philip was a serving navel officer and put himself in harms way.
They have not put a foot at wrong IMHO and the green party is below contempt if they did say what is reported.
Is Ms Bennett of the greens an Australian?
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
She stands for stability, trust and integrity.

Given that her first son has been rumoured to arrange the death of his first wife (and she apparently foresaw it coming) and now her second son has been accused of sex with a minor I have to question whether the above is correct.
You have to remember, she comes from bloodline that is responsible for mass murder and many wars over the centuries.
You may remember she got her butler out of a prosecution once too.. nobody will ever know what went on there but i suspect it was something that suited both parties.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!