cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Queen's Speech

Community Veteran

The Queen's Speech

The Queen's Speech is on Wednesday. What can we expect to be in it?  Here's what the BBC have to say:
Queen's Speech
It's good to see the promise that there will be no increases in income tax, VAT or National Insurance for the life of this Parliament.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The Queen's Speech

The government is placing Right to Buy at the forefront of its policies in the new parliament. Wiyh the freezing of taxes this should encourage many new homeowners in the country.
Community Veteran

Full details of the Queen's Speech
Queen's Speech Details
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It might be the Queen's speech but it's really a speech put together by the Government in power, it remains no more than an intention of what the government wants to do rather than what they will actually manage to do.
Only time will tell.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

The usual "Other measures will be laid before you" clause is in there - for those bits we don't know about yet. 
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Just shows how much interest there is in it all.. no replies to such an interesting topic for over two days!
In times of austerity, nobody really cares about the rich queen or her government of rich chums.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
It might be the Queen's speech but it's really a speech put together by the Government in power,
My thoughts exactly, lets scrap the farce that is the queens speech. Because lets face it is is a farce.
Community Veteran

Of course it's written by the government, did anyone think anything else  It's a wonderful tradition and should be kept.
Community Veteran

Couldnt sleep, turned on bbc parliament last night and they were showing the event.  Interesting as I never seen it on tv before.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
The government is placing Right to Buy at the forefront of its policies in the new parliament. Wiyh the freezing of taxes this should encourage many new homeowners in the country.

and what about people who rent and the shortage of council property? do they not matter?
right to buy is ridiculous.  If you want to buy, buy private.
Community Veteran

Right to Buy gives people a helping hand onto the property ladder. Most people would welcome this. In addition 200,000 starter homes will be made available for people to buy at a discount.
Surely you'd want to own rather than rent a property Undecided
Community Veteran

you side stepped the issue.
Where is the help for those renting, e.g. better affordability and security?
There is a number of reasons people rent over buying, which isnt the issue here.
The principle of council housing is to provide secure rental for those who cannot afford to buy, or find a suitable private properly, right to buy goes against that principle.
I suppose you will say anyone not in a position to buy doesnt matter.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I will wait to see the detail but if the deal is to buy at a discount on the current market price and the money received (either by Housing Associations or Councils) is earmarked for new builds for rent it would work quite well if the land for new builds for social rented housing could be made available at a significant discount
Community Veteran

@Oldjim, as I understand it that is the proposal. We will have to wait for the Bill to be issued.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Was the right to buy council houses ever stopped ? I thought M Thatcher introduced it during her time in government so what's new about this current proposal ?
I am asking this as a question rather than a statement of fact.