cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Price of Clothing

Strat
Fixes: 505

The Price of Clothing

My daughter and I went into Meadowhall Retail Park today to pick up a winter coat which her son had asked for and paid for out of his savings.

I was very surprised at the price of the coat, over a hundred pounds.

She then took me into Flannels store just to show me some really high prices.

https://www.flannels.com/alexander-mcqueen-skull-bomber-jacket-602275#colcode=60227540

I'm sure there are some on the forum that would buy from this shop but to say I was surprised would be quite an understatement.

I wonder how much the above item actually cost the manufacturers.

There were armed police nearby and it made me think were they guarding the retail park or just this store.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,176

Re: The Price of Clothing

I've worked with many retaillers - clothing mark up has ranged from 50% to many 1000's.
Electrical markups are much smaller, usually 20% or less.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Took the missus shopping for a new winter coat last October.... Chain store - spent about 30 mins looking at and trying on coats... found one she liked... nice thick heavy material, just right for keeping out the cold winds, and had a hood attached, so good "all rounder" type coat... £70..  BUT... they could not sell the one in the store... as it was "for display purposes only".. could order it ( and pay now ) for delivery "sometime next week... "   walked away..

went to ASDA the next day... and as we entered the store, there was a rack of coats, very similar to the one she saw the previous day. £30.00    bought it..   very happy....

Until...

the following monday....  went in to ASDA again.... rack of coats had a big REDUCED price marker on it...

saw the coat marked down to £20.00      Ah well... !

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

For the expensive stuff, you're paying for the logo, not the product, one of them status symbols that appeals to certain types of people who have less depth to them than a small puddle usually...

dvorak
Fixes: 1,176

The other amusing thing is that flannels is owned by Mike Ashley of Sports Direct infamy.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter wrote:

Until...

the following monday....  went in to ASDA again.... rack of coats had a big REDUCED price marker on it...

saw the coat marked down to £20.00      Ah well... !

For a Yorkshire man like yourself @shutter that must have hurt. Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous   Yes, indeedy !.... (crying chinaman emoticon)

but.... Looking on the bright side......(happy smiling chinaman emoticon)

I could have had Scottish Parents.... 

then, it would have really hurt ! ! ! (two more crying chinamen emoticons)

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@shutter 

You are right about Asda they have some decent stuff and.......usually minus any logo.

Usually get clothes from Primark....they are so cheap that any cheaper and they could give the stuff away free. !

Aldi, Lidi, tkmax and other similar stores often have a good range of clothing.

Once saw a coat at £30 which I really liked but could not justify buying it as I have a couple of good coats, few weeks later same shop was selling it for £20 so I bought it, must be one of the few things I have bought that I really did not need.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Strat 

Once went to the Trafford Centre near Manchester which is a major shopping complex, price of stuff there is just daft, I did not see a single shop that held any interest for me...unlike the wife.

Never been back since and certainly have no intention of going !

shutter
Community Veteran

@gleneagles on the day we were "just looking...... "    we did go into TKMAXX....

more like TK MESS..  it was worse than the market stalls in there... clothes thrown on the floor... nobody to ask about anything... general air of "unkempt, couldn`t care less" about the place.

And the quality of the clothes was poor, in my opinion...  so we won`t be going back there.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@dvorak wrote:
The other amusing thing is that flannels is owned by Mike Ashley of Sports Direct infamy.

Wouldn't one expect a lot of flannel?😄

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

@Strat 

Once went to the Trafford Centre near Manchester which is a major shopping complex, price of stuff there is just daft, I did not see a single shop that held any interest for me...unlike the wife.

Never been back since and certainly have no intention of going !

@gleneagles  I'd hope the wife held more interest for you!😈 You did want your lunch, didn't you?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Luzern 

Even lunch was expensive.......I might have been better having a long........lunch and leave the wife to do the shopping.

Not a problem I will face but the advice is to keep well clear of such places near Christmas as there have been cases of cars stuck for hours trying to get out of the place due to the volume of traffic......nightmare at Christmas.

😳

Strat
Fixes: 505

God help us if Flannels decided to branch out into groceries.

£350 for a designer label loaf anyone?

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

shutter
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

£350 for a designer label loaf anyone?

Crumbs !... there`d be a thick slice of profit in that ! ! .. ( guffawing chinaman emoticons)