The Pound in your Pocket

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

The Pound in your Pocket

The times Pounds they are a changing

Round pound coins will cease to be legal tender in October:

New 12-sided £1 will hit the streets in March

Households are being warned to spend or bank all their round pound coins before October, when they will cease to be legal tender.

They will be phased out from March 28, when the new 12-sided £1 coin hits the streets, the Government has announced.

Replacing £1 notes, £1 coins were first launched on April 21, 1983.

21 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: The Pound in your Pocket

More like a pound in your purse as I for one rarely have any coins in my pocket, whereas Mrs Minivanman.....

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Infinity
Pro

Infinity wrote:

Households are being warned to spend or bank all their round pound coins before October, when they will cease to be legal tender.

They will be phased out from March 28, when the new 12-sided £1 coin hits the streets, the Government has announced.

We often use them for Supermarket Trollies, but the most use is for our local Hospital Car Park, when visiting a hospitalised Relative.

And by using the on-site change machines, we have quite a stock of £1 coins !!

Everything else tends to be on Debit Card these days.

Change-over time for the £1 coins across the UK will no doubt be slots of fun !!! 

Minivanman
Hero

Ah yes, all those hospital round pound robbing machines will have to be updated, what a shame Wink

As for those supermarket trolleys both the Mrs and myself keep one of those tokens clipped onto our car keys.... so I suppose we'll have to change those now as well.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
nadger
Rising Star

Point about supermarket trollies is interesting - only local Aldi requires a coin or token.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

All our local supermarket trolleys are free. (as is the BGH carpark. for up to 4 hours anyway)
Morrisons in Hawick was the last to remove the need last year I think.
I have a token on my keyring, but hardly ever use it now.
Minivanman
Hero

They should all have them @nadger

It really grinds my gears when folks just load up, push the trolley to one side and just drive off. It's as if some live in their own little bubble unaware of anybody else. I wonder if these are the same people that leave 'em in the centre of the aisle whilst they check out those shelves........ not unlike those who drift off topic Wink

Infinity
Pro

nadger wrote:

Point about supermarket trollies is interesting - only local Aldi requires a coin or token.

Our local Co-op & Aldi both require £1 coins, or tokens.

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

• Way off topic, but from what I seem to read about folk on this forum,is that they want value for money.
Minivanman
Hero

Don't we all?

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

The overlap between old and new coins surely used to be longer than a few months.  Also, I've seen somewhere that the banks will change old currency indefinitely, or maybe that just applies to notes.

Slightly OT, but I find the supermarkets' decision not to keep 2p, 10p, 50p, and £2 coins in their floats quite annoying.  I end up with all the small coins like 1p, 5p, and 20p.  To add to that they often don't have £5 notes either so £9 in change ends up being nine £1 coins.  So much do they hate the 2p that if someone has had the audacity to put some in their self-service tills, they spew out five of them when they need to give you ten pence change.

I don't know if any of you remember, but the name given to the £1 coin when it first came into circulation was Maggie (because it was hard and brassy and thought it was a sovereign).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Jonpe I remember the 50p piece being called the Wilson`s Washer.....

apparently it represented... " Many sided and two faced"...  Lips are sealed

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

I`,m glad we decided not to take the euro....... wonder what they would have called that.Smiley 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have a few of the old 3p coins, if I polish them up will they pass for the new £1 coin.

Smiley

Fixes: 125

According to the The Royal Mint:

Following demonetisation, the current round £1 coin can continue to be deposited into a customer’s account, either business or personal, at most High Street Banks including RBS, NatWest, Ulster, HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds, Santander, Nationwide, Clydesdale, Yorkshire Bank, Halifax, Bank of Scotland and The Post Office.

It may be possible to exchange £1 coins at these banks and the Post Office provided you hold an account with them. Specific arrangements may vary from bank to bank, including deposit limits. It is recommended that you consult with your bank directly.

So all should not be lost after after October this year.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still