cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Pound in your Pocket, is changing ( pun intended ! )

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The Pound in your Pocket, is changing ( pun intended ! )

Next March (2017) will see the issue of the new £1.00 coin... with 12 sides and some security features, which, although published in the daily mirror, the Royal Mint claims, will make it the most secure coin in the world..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/royal-mint-1-coin-launched-7658367

Wiht 6 "security features" described in the newspaper, in advance of the issue of the new coin, it seems a bit daft to me, to reveal them... as one comment at the bottom has stated... now the counterfeiters will know what to do to make a good copy  ! ! !...

What do you think of it  ? 

I quite like the look of it... 

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: The Pound in your Pocket, is changing ( pun intended ! )

How much will they cost and how much will they be worth?  Grin

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I would like the £1 note using the latest technology that is the new plastic bank note, counterfeiters what counterfeiters with the new plastic bank note!

Community Veteran

Bringing a pound note back would be better than another coin.

Who knows maybe cheaper to produce.

When the pound became a coin it was instant devaluation.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@billnotben Yes it would be cheaper to produce then the new £1 coin, the £1 devalued back in the 70's

Fixes: 125

The design resembles the old three-penny bit,

and probably worth about as much Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

shutter wrote:
What do you think of it  ? 

I quite like the look of it... 

I've been thinking of it for the past couple of years since it was first announced, and thinking how great it'll be to not have the £1 coins in my pocket rejected because they're fakes that were doled out by the tesco self-serve machines cos they just pour all unchecked coins in from other human-error-operated tills...

As for the look, it's a nice throwback to the old Thruppeny bit (I have a few of those somewhere), and quite reminiscent of the aussie 50 Cent coin too, it's abot time the ol' quid got replaced with something up-to-date... Smiley

Their next step, follow in Canada and Australia's footsteps and scrap the shrapenel (the 1p and 2p coins), they're pretty much the 21st century equivalent of the decimalised 0.5p coins (I'd say ha'penny, but, post-decmal, it's a zero point five penny Tongue ), just a pocket weight that has no practical use other than to undo small screws...