cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Philpotts found guilty

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: The Philpotts found guilty

Given Mick Philpott's attitude to woman I really liked this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22029476
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: journeys
Judges, lawyers,

Odd you should mention that, It occurred to some of us that the other jury member who didn't vote guilty had some "legal training" we never found out what it was, he obviously wasn't a practising lawyer, solicitor or QC, whatever it was it didn't bar him from jury service. Probably just an enthusiastic hobbyist.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sorry think I phrased that badly:-
Since the 2003 act Judges, lawyers, politicians, vicars, bishops, doctors and peers ARE NOT exempt.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

What I don't understand is this, he has been given a life sentence but can be considered for parole in 15 years, so in theory it would not matter how many people died as a result of his actions, one or a thousand.
Perhaps we need to be like America give him 15 years for each life lost so he would spend the next 90 years in Jail. !!
kdiment
Rising Star

Prisons are ovdercrowded. Cells often have to be shared. Who would like to share a cell with this man? If you were the Prison Governor, who would you select to put him in with? There must be some doubt about whether he can survive 15 years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Little change really he will still be funded by the tax payer, food, accommodation, TV, etc
I Could think of one way we could reduce the jail population and ensure those convicted of very serious crimes would never be able to do them again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Might be worth seeing the judgement. I came in late for the news earlier but just caught part of an explanation of it. Mick Philpott has Life to serve at least 15 years before being considered for parole, but then only if he is considered safe to release (either to other people or to himself I would guess) in practice life in this case could mean exactly that.
Edit/ can imagine him becoming very accident prone with all that falling over and walking into doors and injuring himself Huh
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: gleneagles
What I don't understand is this, he has been given a life sentence but can be considered for parole in 15 years, so in theory it would not matter how many people died as a result of his actions, one or a thousand.
Perhaps we need to be like America give him 15 years for each life lost so he would spend the next 90 years in Jail. !!

My thoughts exactly. Six little children are dead and the murderer has got just 2.5 years per child. Thats a disgrace.
For his sins the prison should be throwing in non-stop torture too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: kdiment
Prisons are ovdercrowded. Cells often have to be shared. Who would like to share a cell with this man? If you were the Prison Governor, who would you select to put him in with? There must be some doubt about whether he can survive 15 years.

I don't think he will be allowed to mix with the general prison population.  Surely he will be kept in segregation.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I suspect you're right artmo, no doubt he'll be given the hero cell like that anders brevik fella in Norway was it? (and yes I'm aware I probably got his name wrong before anyone mentions it). It's wrong and he should be forced to mix with the other violent murderers and be forced to face the consequences of his actions. Personally I think the justice system in this country has just proven how useless and out dated it really us.
I think its a disgrace that prisoners get more rights than the free public.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
Surely he will be kept in segregation.
Hope not as that'll stop him receiving a friendly welcome from hardened villains.
I think the judge's sentencing was well considered as it should rule out chance of appeal against it.  Philpott will be 73 before he could possibly be paroled and may well die in prison.
Community Veteran

With luck nadger!  Roll eyes
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

I find "manslaughter" difficult to understand in many cases.
Set fire to the house but didn't mean to burn anyone to death.
Dropped a huge lump of concrete from a motorway bridge but didn't mean to kill anyone.
Just as well say when I pulled the trigger I didn't mean to kill anyone.
Community Veteran

It's all down to intent.
Community Veteran

But who decides when the terrorist says I didn't "intend" to blow anyone up?
Isn't it now more down to what plea the prosecution thinks can get a successful guilty verdict?