Community Veteran

Re: The Philpotts found guilty

Yawn!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: The Philpotts found guilty

Like others here was the "product" of a council housed family, many were when our fathers had just returned from fighting the second world war and were "housed". For myself I have been the only member of my nearest family to ever own our own home, and still am as it happens. My four (step) children have all attended university or college, two are self-employed running successful businesses the other two are very well employed earning far more than we could have dreamed about at their age.
We spent the kids inheritance (with their approval) some years ago when Mrs P's ill health forced a move of home and were caught in a serious negative equity trap, managing to scrape together including assurance policies the outright cost of our present home...You can't take it with you, and the children didn't need or want it. Slightly unconventional yes, but it worked for us.
These days we receive basic state pensions, Mrs P receives DLA (or whatever its now called) and we both have small occupational pensions from previous employment. Anyone who thinks these bear any relationship with the gold-plated final salary civil service pensions should think again.
This has been "achieved" by hard work (I'm still working at approaching 68 in a fairly low paid part-time job) the longest I have been unemployed is around 20 minutes, leaving one job and getting another on my way home. We are probably better off now than at any time during our married lives.
So you won't be surprised to know that I side with the government with the current tax and benefit changes.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.