cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Philpotts found guilty

nadger
Rising Star

Re: The Philpotts found guilty

I'm another who never has, or ever will, serve on a jury.
I have, however, been a prosecution witness in both crown and magistrates courts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just did some digging, I was exempt from Jury Service until 2004, then changes in the criminal justice Act 2003 took away that exemption..............didn't realise.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
I’ve never been called for Jury Duty.

I spent one fruitless week on jury service.
I say fruitless as in that whole week I was never selected even once to be in an actual jury.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 29

About 1965, I was living almost next door to the local cop shop.... went out to get a bottle of milk from the other corner shop, got my collar felt, as the saying goes, by a bobby, who asked me if I would take part in a identity line up......  Shocked
spent 2 hours in the cop shop, waiting for the rest of the line up to be assembled, no contact with the outside world, ( i.e. Missus ) and wasnt picked out....  Huh
Mind you it was a pretty scary experience. Cheesy
Missus did not believe my story when I got home without the milk .....  Roll_eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

[quote=ITV News]Mick Philpott has been given a life sentence for killing his six children in a fire at his home in Derby in May 2012.
He will be 70 years old before he will be eligible for parole, which will be a minimum of 15 years into his jail term.
His wife Mairead was this morning given a 17 year jail term for her part in setting the fire, which killed their children, Duwayne, Jack, John, Jesse, Jayden and their sister Jade, at their home on Victory Road in Allenton on May 11th.
Paul Mosley, who was the Philpott's accomplice was also jailed for 17 years, and told he would serve at least half of that.

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2013-04-04/mick-philpott-sentenced-to-life-for-killing-his-six-chidl...
http://www.itv.com/news/central/2013-04-04/philpott-trial-timeline/
Cry
Plusnet FTTC 80/20 IPv4/30, Hurricane Electric 6in4 IPv6/48, Pulse8 landline & calls, SamKnows 600N
Vigor 130 modem, pfSense 2.4.4-p3 router, 5 WAPs, Devolo dLAN 500, Gigaset N300A-IP VoIP DECT
Community Veteran

A minimum of 15 years! That's a joke.  Sad
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

I was called for jury service once only.  I couldn't do it so asked to be excused and they agreed.  They've not called me again.  Is there an upper age limit?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Straight away, I'm not commenting on the sentences; the crime they were convicted of was manslaughter not murder. I "suppose" there was no intention to kill the children. I note that judge in summing up said there was no legal precedent for this.
Mick Philpott will be 70 years old before he can be considered for parole. Can't imagine he's going to have a great time inside.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@artmo, I believe its 70, but in view of journeys comment it may have changed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 336

The last thing a parent should be doing is putting their children in harms way either intentionally or not.
I can't say what should happen to them as I would fall foul of Oldjim's new rule but it would be neither short nor pleasant.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
@artmo, I believe its 70, but in view of journeys comment it may have changed.

No still 70.
Under the Criminal Justice Act 2003, all registered electors in England and Wales aged between 18 and 70, except people with a mental illness and those convicted of a criminal offence, must now serve on a jury if summoned. Prior to the 2003 act Judges, lawyers, politicians, vicars, bishops, doctors and peers were exempt.
I fell into the latter group.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the clarification journeys Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

I’ve always fancied the idea of jury service. Nothing too heavy of course, don’t want a murder case or such like but a nice little ‘did he nick £30?’ type of case would be good.
SWMBO has been called twice and still hasn’t set foot inside a court building! First time she was suffering from severe hyperemesis whilst carrying our eldest and allowed to postpone, then called again a couple of years later but had it cancelled for good when the court was closed for months as they found the roof was crumbling! 
Getting back to the Philpott's, did I read somewhere that the judge said that Philpott would have to be referred to a parole board before being released? If so, would that only refer to him applying before he’s served 15 years? 
15 years for killing 6 young children? My blood boils
Following on from Oldjim’s details of the benefits paid to the family as a whole and Philpott specifically, now that he is in prison will the net cost now be more or less?
Fixes: 356

My dad did his jury service at the Old Bailey.
Obviously he never discussed the case(s) with us but he did say he found it very interesting and enjoyed the experience.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: NedLudd
A minimum of 15 years! That's a joke.  Sad

I'd of expected that per child that he's killed. 15 years for killing six young children is pathetic.
Absolutely pathetic.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!