Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Perils of Brexit

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The Perils of Brexit

Terrible news, Subway plans investment in Brexit Britain.

5,000 jobs, 500 new stores. Single Market not the be all and end all. Roll eyes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40488135

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
13 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: The Perils of Brexit

19510358_1384666154951632_6534704612876009263_n.jpg

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes, it was all downhill for the Yanks after they gave up their colonial status and decided to rule themselves.

Community Veteran

I still can't get over the obvious fact that there are so many people now too lazy to make their own sandwiches.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes, it seems to be a growing trend now.

Where my parents live we have lots of fast food places (main ones), including Maccas, KFC and Burger King, that opened recently just opposite Maccas, bet they're pleased.

Also for Pizza (which I like), we have takeaway Pizza Hut, Pappa Johns, and Domino's.

We have a Subway there too.

I go occasionally but try to keep it to a limit.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Yummy, do they do gluten free ?

Fixes: 125

For the price of subway you could possibly make a few rounds of your own sarniesWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

For the price of a subway I can make myself a decent dinner never mind some far better quality sandwiches.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

billnotben wrote:

I still can't get over the obvious fact that there are so many people now too lazy to make their own sandwiches.

Thats because everyone is busy scurrying like rats trying to earn their crust of bread crumbs to survive with many working almost every hour they can. Of course people are going to lose the will to do these little things.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@billnotben 

"I still can't get over the obvious fact that there are so many people now too lazy to make their own sandwiches"

Sandwiches for work maybe and certainly cheaper and with less dubious fillings (which is why I never buy 'meat' ones) but when you are out and about they are really handy to grab when that tummy starts to rumble.

Funny how eating habits have changed though I must admit and we certainly never had so many fast food outlets when I was a youngster. Fish and Chips (in newspaper) or the old Pie and Mash shops were the order of the day. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

The USA has 321.4 mill. people (2015) (Wikipedia)

The EU (excl. the UK) has an estimated 444.6 mill. (2015) (Wikipedia, World Bank)

If we get a decent trade agreement with the US, all we need is a market of 123.2 mill. people to make up the difference.  Greater Tokyo alone has 37.8 mill. people (2015) and Beijing 21.5 mill. (March 2016) (Wikipedia); you see where I'm going?

Furthermore the disposable income of the Americans, Japanese, and increasingly also the Chinese, is far greater than that of the average Eastern European, and any new EU members will be relatively poor since the EU has run out of well-off countries to con(quer).

I'm not pretending it will be easy; the Americans will drive a hard bargain, but as far as customer numbers are concerned, we needn't worry.

I haven't even mentioned our old friends, and in many cases relatives, in Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc.  Sharing a common language can only make negotiating a trade agreement, and trading itself, easier.

Do I look worried?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Jonpe

Whilst I agree with your comments I do wonder if some countries will be all that happy to increase their trade with us, when we joined the EU our trade with those countries would have been reduced as our trade with the EU increased so some might see it as the UK reducing trade when it suits us but now wanting to increase it ?

Could be wrong. Just a thought.

Smiley

Community Veteran

@gleneagles I don't think markets work like you describe. If the product is good and at the right price it will sell and the British brand is still well thought of worldwide.

The crazyness is a trading country like GB putting ourselves behind the EU tariff barriers. we'll definitely be better off trading with the EU and the rest of the world under WTO rules

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

@gleneagles  I echo what @PeterLoftus posted above; in essence, money talks.  They'll want to sell to us, which usually means they'll have to allow us to sell to them.

Yes, I remember talking to someone who'd worked at the telephone exchange in 1972/73 and been subjected to less than polite comments from her Australian counterparts, amongst others, when putting calls through to their countries.  Since we joined the EEC>EC>EU we have of course not been able to decide on the terms of our trade with those countries.  As far as I have been able to observe, our relationship with Australia, New Zealand etc., both at government and a more personal level, has always been good.  A huge number of citizens of those countries spend a couple of years here on what they call their Overseas Experience.  Many in government and big business will have done this, and will have developed an understanding of, and perhaps a fondness for, our island.  That doesn't mean they'll give us an easy ride, but it will undoubtedly make the process easier.  You may remember it was reported straight after the referendum that Australia had offered to lend us experienced trade agreement negotiators should we need such assistance.  That doesn't indicate that they still bear a grudge about what happened 44 years ago.