cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Performance of Openreach

vigamoda

The Performance of Openreach

Hi,
I am a new customer, on the edge of cancelling due to unreliable 'engineers'!
I was wondering if openreach is a true reflection on plusnet, or do the subcontractors/staff just provide a terrible service that is totally independant of plusnet...
Should I judge plusnet on the performance of their 'engineers' or should I give them a second chance?
Thanks
5 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: The Performance of Openreach

openreach is a separate company to plusnet  so I wouldn't judge one by the others performance, also unless your getting a cable connection then its openreach who will be along to mess your life up regardless of which company you use for your service
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It is a misconception that customers have with PlusNet, that they think, the "engineers" are employed by PlusNet and therefore accountable to PlusNet.... unfortunately, they are a "law unto themselves"....
vigamoda

Well... why hasn't someone started up a new way to blow those fools out of the water?
nadger
Rising Star

Essentially because Openreach is a monopoly  Sad
WTF
Grafter

Openreach is a government initiative.  Basically, they put the prevision of fibre out to tender however the only company that responded was BT so Openreach is effectively BT.  And PlusNet are owned by BT.
Unfortunately, that doesn't mean PlusNet control the engineers. As nonotm says, unless you're with Virgin who have their own network, you're going to have the same engineers whatever ISP you go with.
I guess there's a possibility that BT customers will get a marginally better service - though I'm sure BT would deny that Wink
Before you go running off to Virgin, though: they, too have problems.  I was with them at my last place for a little over 2.5 years and in that time, they reduced the number of TV stations included in the package on several occassions (it was like they tracked which stations I watched then removed them from my package Roll eyes) while simultaneously cranking up the price from £20/month to £38/month - yes: they almost doubled the price in just 2 price rises.  While reducing the service.  Admittedly, they're now owned by a different American company (Richard Branson's involvement in the company doesn't really go beyond appearing in ads), but the current company has an even worse reputation in the US the last one.  I certainly won't EVER go near them again.