cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Oscars

Community Veteran

The Oscars

It's Oscar night tonight in Hollywood. We have a few good chances of getting an Oscar this year in a number of categories. Our best chance is with 1917 which is nominated in 9 categories. If you've not seen it yet treat yourself to an exciting and very moving night out.

We have a fantastic film industry here in the UK and it's good to see it recognised.

18 REPLIES 18
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: The Oscars

I doubt many would agree with me but I see little point in things like this, it's simply a industry congratulating it's self on how well it has done, sure some of these actors and directors are excellent but like many people they are doing a job and in some cases getting well paid for it.

There are many people doing highly skilled work we never hear about and to me self congratulation is no congratulation at all.

😀

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

I doubt many would agree with me but I see little point in things like this, it's simply a industry congratulating it's self on how well it has done,

I agree with you, load of luvvies patting themselves on the back for making millions... Is there enough diversity this year - will Ricky Gervaise be ripping into the smug woke movement ? 

Community Veteran

Oh dear the old diversity cry. There is critisism that there is no female director nominated. Tell me a film directed by a female good enough and can challenge 1917, The Joker etc.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Yes of course it's just self congratulating but it can be damn entertaining all the same, and that's what it's all about isn't it.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Lost interest when Gandhi took all the awards E.T should have won....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

The way they pontificate when up on stage they'd be far better off having a pulpit to speak from rather than a podium. What is it with these people that they have to preach political correctness.

@Champnet 

You jest of course. ET was good, but nowhere near as thought provoking as Close Encounters or as magnificent as Ghandi. 

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

Sorry but I go to the cinema to be entertained not educated....

Community Veteran

Neither Ghandi or First Encounters were up against ET for an Oscar.

ET was directed by Spielberg and despite making some very good movies he was not 'flavour of the Academy' for a long time. They took to him eventually thougth.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

Both Gandhi and E.T were nominated for best picture & director, but not best actor 😊

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Nothing wrong with both or either.

Personally,  I like a bit of each. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well it was all white on the night but hey, at least Mahershala Ali got to present Laura Dem with her Oscar. Y'can't win 'em all y'know. 

What a stitch up... or not.

And what's an EGOT award, is that something new?

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

And what's an EGOT award, is that something new?

Probably short for EGOTism   award

OR maybe E'GOT an award but she didn't

Community Veteran

Someone who has won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I watched Gandhi and ET on consecutive days; I watched ET sitting behind a woman with a French-speaking child to whom she translated pretty much all the dialogue; during Gandhi a young Indian man sitting behind me provided lengthy explanations of the film to his (English?) female companion.

Ghandi was in my view the better film, but it's hard to compare since they are very different types of film.