cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Marriage Allowance Telephone No Needed

tgr
Grafter

The New Marriage Allowance Telephone No Needed

I have all the info about the new marriage allowance and myself and my wife are eligible.  However you can only apply on line and my wife is not online and does not want to be.  She wants to transfer part of her personal allowance to me.  I know you can do this over the phone but the info that HMRC gives does not at the moment include a telephone no  is anyone aware of the actual telephone no that you can use to do this.  I cannot understand why we have to apply for it if we are eligible it should be automatic as in the old days.  I suspect that they hope not too many will apply and then they can hold on to our money or am I just being a cynic!
5 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: The New Marriage Allowance Telephone No Needed

Quote from: tgr
I know you can do this over the phone but the info that HMRC gives does not at the moment include a telephone no  

"Registering for marriage allowance can only be completed online, is straightforward and only takes about 3 minutes. It is not possible to register for marriage allowance by calling HMRC."
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/issue-briefing-marriage-allowance/issue-briefing-marriage...
Seems clear enough. There is no phone number.
I recall hearing a discussion on the radio that alternative means to  register may become available later.
"The procedure for those without access to a computer - and ten million adults are in that category - or who do not want to register online will be clarified later in the year. "
http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/marriage-breaks.html
Community Veteran

Quote from: tgr
you can only apply on line
A bit of a misunderstanding there, there is no application process as such, at this stage it is just "registering interest".
As the web site says:
Couples who choose not to register will be able to apply directly for the allowance later in 2015.
So presumably that process is not yet available.
And:
From April 2015, HMRC will invite people who have registered with us to apply for the allowance and we will tell them about the change to their Pay As You Earn (PAYE) tax code or reflect the changes in their Self Assessment calculations. Applications will be made through GOV.UK. HMRC will provide support to customers who need it.

So even if you register you have to wait for HMRC to contact you. I've no idea if they have actually started doing this yet.
And finally:
There is no disadvantage for those who don’t register; they will be able to make an application during the tax year 2015 to 2016 and still receive the full allowance.
itsme
Grafter

Does HMRC do anything online?
I do a P87 every year and last year I thought great I can do it on line. No, you fill the form out on line then you have to print it out then post it.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

HMRC have started to contact those who have registered online.
You then have to go through the Verify process online to claim.
However.....those people who have not got a credit history, ie - mortgage, credit cards, etc may have a problem completing the Verify process.
You should be able (provided you have received confirmation of your having registered) to claim by telephone - 0300 200 3300. Have your National Insurance number to hand when claiming.
Say that you have registered for Marriage Allowance but cannot use Verify.
Later this year everyone will be able to claim using the telephone.

tgr
Grafter

Many thanks to everyone I shall just wait until they say you can do it by telephone