Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Camera

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The New Camera

Hi Folks,
Just got back home after  getting my new camera..... Have only put the batteries in it, and a 2gb SD card (Morrisons £5.00) (thanks for that)....
Went into town to the address given by Dixons website, only to find that it has got a wooden wall around the window area, and a notice on saying it was being transformed into a "Currys Digital" shop, opening soon.  That cost me £2.20 (minimum 1hour parking in Portsmouth town centre) to find out....  So went across town to a trading estate where Comet, PC World, and Currys stand shoulder to shoulder... yes ! next door to each other !.... Comet only do a couple of very old Fuji cameras , so went into PC World next, spoke to a "customer advisor" there, said I was interested in the S800fd.... so he started his spiel, I interrupted him (politely) asking him if he could do a "price match".... he said "depends against whom".... when I said Dixons, he said no he couldn`t as they were an "on line store" and did not have any shops.... after a bit of discussion, he was still adamant, that if I wanted the camera it was £149.99 from him, or go home and get it on the net...... Went out of the store, into Currys next door, said pretty much the same thing, Showed him a print out of the Dixons Web Page with camera and price on it....Customer advisor said he would ask.... went off, came back, said "normally we don`t do it with Dixons, but as it is quiet today, we can meet you halfway...."  I said O.k. and did the deal.... got the camera for £140..... Dixons price was £133.04,  so I guess nearly £10 off was a pretty good deal!....
Went down to the sea front, and messed around putting in the batteries, and the SD card from Morrisons, then put it on AUTO and took a few shots to see how it handled.... results are below.... Bear in mind, I was only testing the zoom to see how good it was, (had my old camera for comparison)  I did not do anything with the settings to "get a good picture".....
The war memorial was about half a mile away from the car......
HMS Dolphin Dive Tower was about 1.5 miles away across the harbour entrance,  There are two spikes on the horizon about centre of the photo,  the Dive Tower is the right hand one,  I took the photos through the windscreen, and also with the sun coming in from about 35 degrees on the left side.
The Spinnaker Tower was about 1.5 miles away.....  the First one is on 18X zoom and the second is using the maximum digital zoom on top of the 18X optical zoom
All photos were taken "hand held" with no support or tripod.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The New Camera

looks like you bought yourself a nice bit of kit.  you must also like to keep a clean windscreen.  no artefacts showing up from smudges there.  have a lot of fun with it. Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have a look at this http://www.flickr.com/photos/probablyrichard  One of PCPlus staff got himself a £400 lens (Nikkor 18-200) for his new Nickon D40  these are his test results
Community Veteran

Here`s some more test/comparison shots
1.  Normal view
2.  "old camera" (Fuji S5600) at 10 X optical zoom  ISO 100
3.  "new camera" (Fuji S8000fd) at 18X optical zoom ISO 100
All shots taken using viewfinder and hand held.  (not using tripod or any "steady device")
The subject rose is between the two leylandii trees next to the fence rail centre of pic number 1..
Fixes: 47

As has been said it looks like a good piece of kit.
Looking forward to new entries on www.nemosphotography.co.uk Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Hi DIck, Thanks for the link! !  Cheesy  I don`t expect to be putting any new camera stuff on there for a while.....(will try to get something up by Christmas)  Cheesy
I have got to get out and about to take some first !....
Although this camera is very similar in style to my older one, there seems to be a bit more to learn about settings, before good results can be obtained..... Auto  setting doesn`t seem to be the simple way to go!.... have been playing with settings and seeing the results on my laptop all morning, to familiarize myself with the camera before letting myself loose on the world at large !
When the NEW album(s) are ready and on the site, I will certainly let everyone know on the forum !..
Thanks for your help and advice.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

I find auto's never a very good choice - programme (shift) can be good, as it gives you some of the automation of auto mode blended with the flexibility of manual mode... might be worth a try if you're not using it already.
Community Veteran

Hope to see pics soon just remember The Rule of Thirds.
I just got a pentax optio l50 for my sins 5 zoom which is good for a pocket camera. I have the slr but this is used to put in the pocket for those rare shots that popup from time to time when your out
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Hope to see pics soon just remember The Rule of Thirds.

I have a Cannon A640, one of the Modes has a 3,3 grid on the view screen.  Trouble with that camera is you have to take the manual with you, it has so many settings, got on Holiday and could see any thing in the screens, eye level or tft, took me a couple of days of cursing to find i was in the wrong mode.  Same with my video camera  , that has also got an artificial horizon line, OH modern wonders
Community Veteran

Hi guys!.  Rule of thirds?  When I get my camera out, it is no holds barred.... see a photograph..... click..... got it    Cheesy    (or missed it)  Sad
I usually have time to make it look nice in the view finder    Smiley  (rarely use the screen) but that is the only rule I use !..
Both my Fuji`s have the grids (various) available when setting up a shot, and taking it, but I never use them...
Sorry if I break the rules, I just take photographs. !  Smiley
Community Veteran

Indeed, the only real 'rule' is to enjoy photography... but the 'rule of thirds' is still a useful guide. The idea of it is that you align important features in a photograph roughly a third from the sides/top/bottom to help balance the photograph. For example, if taking a photograph of land and sky, you might want to do it so that the horizon is roughly a third of the way up from the bottom of the photo.
Community Veteran

My rule of thirds..... spend a third of your time thinking about taking the photo, spend a third of your time taking the photo, and the other third of the time...... looking for the next  photo  ! ! ! !  Wink    Cheesy  Cheesy
Community Veteran

The rules are there as a guide and can of coarse be broken but part of the art of taking pictures is the composition shoot and click is fine but time spent working out how to get the best shot pays off.
A good article on thirds is here http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/John_Longenecker/Rule_of_Thirds.htm
It has been used for many hundreds of years as it was used by painters a long time ago.
I find it does help to take better pictures (in my opinion anyway) One of my best examples is http://www.crewetown.co.uk/meca.jpg ; it has the fence leading the eye and the sign is in the right place as well. I am no expert but you have to learn from others who have been at it for years