cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Middle East: A Critical Report

thisoldman
Grafter

The Middle East: A Critical Report

best report iv read for a while. Please scroll down and read section by Mark Almond who I know and trust
http://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358273.

The situation is now very very serious.
59 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: The Middle East: A Critical Report

I must admit to being very surprised indeed that an academic of that calibre would say this
Even people who hope to see the end of the Saudis’ hand-chopping, wife-beating Wahhabi fundamentalist regime must realise that its downfall will create a global economic earthquake.

Community Veteran

and this doesn't help at all http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12512732
The US has vetoed an Arab resolution at the UN Security Council condemning Israeli settlements in the Palestinian territories as an obstacle to peace.
All 14 other members of the Security Council backed the resolution, which had been endorsed by the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO).

On paper this was a defeat for the Palestinians but they and representatives of other Arab nations seemed to be in a buoyant mood. They had held out some hope that America would abstain, but not much, so the veto was predictable.
The degree of support, on the other hand, was overwhelming: some 130 countries co-sponsored the resolution, and all the other members of the Security Council voted for it.
The result was strong endorsement of the Palestinian position on Israeli settlements - that they are illegal, and an obstacle to peace - which isolated Israel. It also isolated the United States.
No matter what reasons America gave for the veto (it insisted bringing the matter to the Security Council complicated chances for peace talks) or how fulsomely it criticised settlement building (as a folly and threat to peace) it appeared out of sync with the international consensus, and as Israel's only defender.
Given the ferment in the Arab world at the moment, that is not a good position for Washington to be in.
thisoldman
Grafter

If  and its a small if..................bahrain and or saudia arabia fall, then the usa will invade s.a to protect its oil supplies.
The possibility of an all out war in the middle east in mnay analysts opinion has just come a step closer.
It can surely be no surprise that the usa  has a large naval fleet off the south coast of Bahrain, and that the usa is in hourly contact with israeli
defence ministry.
nadger
Rising Star

Back in late nineties I made a comment, on a BBC radio phone in, that the biggest threat to world peace would come from Muslim countries.
The presenter, Jon Gaunt, dismissed the idea but unfortunately I'm being proved right.
People used to say that there were more Jews in New York than Tel Aviv and their political clout must effect US policy.
As an opponent of British involvement in Afghanistan I hope the US don't drag us into any more of their conflicts.
I watched a couple of programmes called " The Chinese are coming" and they certainly aren't a threat to the western world - why attack it when you are gradually taking it over economically.
Community Veteran

I cannot believe that all this arab unrest is not orchestrated, it may be arab v arab or arabs v all of us! Of course el Q may have a hand in it. What I am certain of is the chance that this will get global!!!
  Sad  Sad
Community Veteran

It looks to be getting worse http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201009115937134 ;
Members of a Libyan army unit have told Benghazi residents they have defected and "liberated" the city from pro-Gaddafi forces.
Speaking from Benghazi, a local man named Benali, told Sky News that members of the Libya's armed forces have defected and that anti-regime protesters are now in control of the city.
Community Veteran

I'm a huge F1 fan, and a week ago I was worried about the Bahrain GP, hoping it could go ahead.
Then 2 days ago the headlines read "Bahrain authorities open fire on protesters" at which point I went from hoping the GP would go ahead to be certain that it was now untenable, even if the GP and the teams could be guaranteed safety, despite it being my favourite sport and one that I will leap to defend in all sorts of ways, it is still in part at least a celebration of excess.  It would be sickening to see pit lane girls, smiles and champagne celebrations knowing that the other side of the fence people were being shot for saying that they want a new government.
Bernie Ecclestone has preveracated badly on this one, and I'm sure contractually its complicated, but if the race goes ahead the stain the event will make on the F1 sport will be there for all to see, but what makes me utterly disgusted with all this, is that Bernie Ecclestone has announced that the person that will make the final decision on whether the event goes ahead or not is the crown prince, the heir apparent to the throne.  Even if, somehow, his hands and mind are untainted with the shootings and the reason for the uprising, the man has a serious conflict of interest and you can be he will make his call based on what he thinks is best for him, his family and perhaps his country, what's best for F1 will be a long way down the list.
thisoldman
Grafter

Iran and what it is planning is our next big worry. Certain middle east tts are predicting that iran will brutally crush any protests and launch an attack on israel, which it sees as the instigator of much of the current unrest.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

strange item on TV news last night about two Iranian ships passing through the Suez cannal
thisoldman
Grafter

caution........i am as yet unable to ascertain the veracity of some middle east tt reports we are seeing but  to answer pierre's post  yes  the iranian vessels are  engaged in a defence mission. The nature of the mission is currently the subject of intense international speculatin and is being monitored by mossad.
Community Veteran

This incident happened on Saturday and was fully reported in the Sunday Times yesterday.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats what you get for trying to read the Sunday Times,  They still havnt gone trough Suez
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/passage-of-iran-ships-through-suez-delayed-by-48-hours...
    * Published 21:28 20.02.11
    * Latest update 21:28 20.02.11
Passage of Iran ships through Suez delayed by 48 hours
Israel is following the movement of the warships closely, although it does not believe the Iranian vessels have hostile intentions toward Israel.
By News Agencies#
The passage of two Iranian naval vessels through the Suez Canal has been delayed by 48 hours, a canal official said on Sunday.
The frigate and supply ship had been due to enter the canal at 6 A.M. on Monday with the northbound convoy that moves daily. The passage through the canal would be a first for Iranian naval vessels since Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: colintivy
I cannot believe that all this arab unrest is not orchestrated,

Agree with you
Off topic:- By the same token having worked in Somali, and recognise how unorganised the Somalis are, I cannot help but think the Piracy on the Indian Ocean is being masterminded by forces outside the region. (Revenue from Piracy being used to fund arab unrest)
Community Veteran

The report stated the ships were at the southern end of the Suez Canal waiting to go through. They have now been delayed.  It is the first time Tehran has received permission to enter the canal.  This appears to be as a result of a change of attitude from the Egyptians although the US and Britain will be trying to reverse the decision.  The US has its Fifth Fleet in the area based in Bahrain which has always niggled Iran.