cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The M1

jmd
Grafter

The M1

Now I live near the M1 and have found myself using it to get to places I have found it a lot pleasanter than the M6 or M62.
Interesting piece about it on
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7699343.stm

though I doubt I would go on any motorway just to visit a service station!
32 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: The M1

There's a horrible though - nearly 49 years since I first used it.
Anyone else remember when it was a 2 lane motorway from Hemel Hempstead to Edgware and you used to come off onto the A5 at Crick.
Only UK road that I've legally topped 100mph on  Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, yes and yes again, on the back of a 500cc Velocette Venom
And used it when motor scooters (Lambretta's and Vespa's) were allowed on it.
Do you remember the old B&W TV information film about the newly opened M1, that showed a guy parking up, getting out for a fag, waving passing traffic on past him, while the rest of his family seemed to be enjoying a picnic on the hard shoulder?
cp:quote
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

With a lovely fish-tail exhaust  Cool
Never into scooters - motorbikes only.
I do remember going along Preston Bypass in a coach, before M1 was open,  on way to visit Calder Hall  Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
With a lovely fish-tail exhaust

Yes indeeedie...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Triumph Bonnevilles, Norton ? in the Featherbed frame. And the totally to die for (and some did literally) the Norton/Triumph Special; Bonneville 650cc engine mounted in a Norton Featherbed frame...Ah they were good days...sometimes!

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I can go to the other extreme,  from the end of the M10  to Crick in a Bedford TK Truck top speed 41  MPH, distance 49 mile
The first Motorway was the Preston (Lancs) bypass
The speed limit was applied during the Gulf fuel crisis and not because Aston Martin were doing high speed runs at night, although it was at about the same time
on the M25  a lot of drivers only go between two junctions  27-28  28-29   29-30  all short distances, but the alternatives are no nicer and longer
JD's Motorway speedometer

Not a Google in site
Community Veteran

@ google Ooop's pierre, I thought it was AC testing Cobra's on the M1 (or M6) that gave rise to the 70mph limit, or is that a myth?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Have to google that one, was speaking from Memory.  (Did you see the pic I added for you in an edit?)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Q: When was the 70 mph motorway speed limit introduced in Britain?
A: The 70 mph National Speed Limit was introduced as a temporary measure in December 1965. It is often blamed on Barbara Castle, but at the time the Minister of Transport was Tom Fraser.
The reason given was a spate of serious accidents in foggy conditions, but it is often claimed that the MoT had been alarmed by AC Cars testing their latest Cobra on the M1 at speeds up to 180 mph.
It was confirmed as a permanent limit in 1967, by which time Barbara Castle (a non-driver) had become Minister of Transport.There was surprisingly little debate at the time: the fact that the average family car of the time could only just exceed 70 mph perhaps had something to do with this.
It should be noted that this limit applied to all previously "derestricted" roads, not only motorways.
All rural roads in the Isle of Man (including most of the famous TT course) remain genuinely derestricted, as a matter of interest.

Seems like we were both wrong  - any way it was a long time ago
nadger
Rising Star

I recall seeing a Grand Prix car driving along the Chalfont to Amersham road - I was out cycling and I caught it up where they were loading it onto a transporter - t'was the Thinwall Special. It was also rumoured that Vanwall used to test cars during the night on the A40 at Park Royal.
There used to be loads of stories about early E Types and Mercs having dust-ups on the M1.
Friend had Norton Dominator with featherbed frame - lovely handling bike.
Being in tool design I always loved HRD Vincents that looked like they'd been built by a toolmaker.
Fixes: 47

I once had a Tiger Cub which I took to pieces.
Being young and technically incompetent I never reassembled it but sold it as a kit Embarrassed

A neighbour had a Bonneville which I once had a solo ride on. It scared the [censored] out of me with it's power.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

I overtook a Japanese bullet train on the M40 once
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Oh Yeah.....so what was a Japanese Bullet Train doing on the M40. Wrong leaves on the slow lane I suppose Roll eyes Wink Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Assuming adiewoo wasn't just joking, perhaps it was one of the new trains for the high-speed rail link being delivered by road... though if so, why it'd be travelling on the M40 I don't know. Huh