Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Lottery

MightyMouse
Grafter

The Lottery

Below is a message that I posted on a football forum that I frequent:-

Post by lesj on Nov 21, 2015 at 11:49pm
"As I said to my neighbour last week, it's going to be even harder to win the lottery now that they have added another 10 numbers. I don't do the lottery on a Wednesday , so I don't follow the results for then. I said last week that they would be more rollover's now & it hasn't been won again tonight. However, I do realise that being more rollovers that when it is won who ever wins will win bigger. Perhaps this is why they have added the extra 10 numbers as the bigger the jackpot the more tickets people seem to buy(greed)Personally I'd rather see 10 people win £1m than one person win £10m. In my opinion £1m is plenty to change a person's life"
I see it wasn't won again last night & the Jackpot is now going to be 22.6m.
Camelot make out  they have done it to make it better for us, BUT, they knew that it would be harder to win therefore creating more rollovers & enticing people to spend more money . They must be rubbing their hands with glee.

53 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: The Lottery

I have had many a discussion regarding the lottery as some people simply can't get it in to their head how pointless it is. I've heard cries of but I've got 5 tickets so I've now got a 20% chance of winning. Trying to explain that they don't can be excruciating to say the least. I didn't know that they'd added 10 more number so that puts the odds up to an astronomical number, assuming you still only need 5 number to win.
I wonder how long it will be before they revert back to the previous number of numbers, as I can't see this being successful, but ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Camelot, are only in the lottery business for one thing..... MONEY...   for them... not the "good causes"   that is a smoke screen..
The robbing baskets added the 10 extra numbers and did a few other tweeks ( cons ) to entice those who can least afford to gamble to give them more MONEY for their shareholders..
So.. when they doubled the price of a ticket... and did their other tweeks (cons).. I decided to give up on them... and now do the health lottery... which, to me seems to be much more "worthy" in its way... only a pound a ticket... and only £100,000.00 for the top prize... but .. that WILL be enough for me.... WHEN  I win it ! ! ! ..
Fixes: 47

I'm not a gambler.
I have no sympathy for those who do and get in a mess.
I strongly dislike companies that offer the 'service' and profit from the weak willed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
MightyMouse
Grafter

That reminds me, not long after the lottery started and there wasn't many outlets   the local machine broke down, so I had to go 3-4 miles down the road to the next outlet.
The lady there told me  that she had 10 lads come in who each spent £10 every week on this syndicate( £100 for 100 lines) they did this for six months & didn't win a bean.
Fixes: 47

I was in a football syndicate at work for over 10 years with only one £10 win shared between about 25 members Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just as bad are the increasing adverts on some tv channels encouraging people to start gambling with a 'free' £25 bet.
I doubt there are many bookies who go broke, adverts for all forms of gambling should be banned on TV channels
Community Veteran

I've seen these Ads and the T&C's are enough to make your eyes water. There was one that offered a bonus multiplier to the funds you deposited BUT in order to get ANY winnings out you had to wager the entire pot 35 times before cash payout!
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

@mook
Only 35 times, that's generous, I've seen T&C's that have 99 times entire amount to get to your winnings from the "free" bet.
Mugs game and I agree with gleneagles that all advertising for gambling should be banned. Ditto sponsorship deals for any activity.
Community Veteran

Wow! That's tantamount to criminal. Don't get me wrong I've backed the odd horse in the National, but I know enough about mathematics to know its a pointless waste of time, effort and more importantly money. And I also agree with you regarding the advertising should be banned along with those parasitic payday lenders as well.
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Many years ago I had to explain to my company's Group Chief Financial Officer how the lottery odds worked (education no bar to blind ignorance - he held a doctorate in chemistry).
Community Veteran

I do the health Lottery which costs £1 a time. I used to do the main Lottery but stopped when it went up to £2.
Community Veteran

Euromillions jackpot odds.  Write your name on a single pea. Throw it into a 32 tonne truck loaded with peas then tip the load over a basket ball court. Standing in the centre of the court throw a dart over your shoulder. If the dart finds your pea you've won the euro millions.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: MightyMouse
That reminds me, not long after the lottery started and there wasn't many outlets   the local machine broke down, so I had to go 3-4 miles down the road to the next outlet.
The lady there told me  that she had 10 lads come in who each spent £10 every week on this syndicate( £100 for 100 lines) they did this for six months & didn't win a bean.

My newsagent tells me that a LOT of pensioners spend up to £40 every Saturday morning on it, and in many cases it's obvious that they aren't exactly well off.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

There's a saying a full and their money are soon parted