cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Lottery: In It to Win It...... or what.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The Lottery: In It to Win It...... or what.

But do you choose random automatically selected numbers, or do you stick to the same numbers each week - which for me would mean an obligation to play in case they came up. Just imagine eh?

Here in Wales they have recently launched their own lottery, so not for me (not that it ever was) the National Lottery with one in zillion million chance of winning at £2 a pop for a totally obscene and unnecessary amount, but one for a £1 a week with better odds at scooping a rather restrained £25k.

Anyways, 'in it to win it' and going to go for those random numbers each week paid for by standing order. Thumbs Up

The National Lottery.

From total ticket sales of £6,925.3 million in the year ending 31 March 2017:

• £1,628.0 million was raised for National Lottery projects
  • £3,943.2 million was paid to players in prizes
  • £831.0 million went to the Government in Lottery Duty
  • £299.6 million was earned by retailers in commission

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: The Lottery: In It to Win It...... or what.

I wonder how many people pick 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Still the same odds as any other combination Wink

I haven't bought a ticket for years, and no itention to now since they doubled the National Lottery price and upped the combo from 49 to 59, which makes it far less likely you'll win anything.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

The odds of any random combination coming up are of course the same odds and they remain constant regardless of how many draws there have been or will be. As @Alex says its a pointless waste of money, more so now than it ever was, so if you are in it for the winnings you may well have a very long wait.

P.S. If you are going to buy a ticket for the Saturday draw, be sure to buy it on the Friday or the Saturday. Because if you buy it on any other day you are actually more likely to have died by Saturday evening than you are to win the Jackpot!

Minivanman
Hero

Not sure of the same odds but, you may be right.

My point though was that if you did the same numbers each week you would be more likely to continue to play than if you selected random numbers?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 121

When they put the price up to £2 I reduced my lines from 4 to just the one. When they upped the number of balls I withdraw from playing.

The money saved was put aside then when it reached £50 I bought more Premium Bonds. At least if I never win I can get my stake back.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

What I said about the odds is correct, that I can assure you.

To be honest I don't see why playing the same numbers would make you more inclined to play. Some people wrongly work on the assumption that if they play the same numbers every week, then their chances of winning increase after each draw when their numbers don't win. But that is not the case, as I said above the odds are constant in the (any) lottery regardless of what or how you pick your numbers.

Minivanman
Hero

@Mav

Hmm, I have still £5 worth of bonds from 1955 with no wins (and yes, I have updated my contact details) but £5 back then would be worth about £100 pound today according to google - so much for getting my stake back Smiley

Minivanman wrote:

My point though was that if you did the same numbers each week you would be more likely to continue to play than if you selected random numbers?

Didn't make me want to continue playing.

If I do decide to buy the odd ticket again (unlikely as I haven't since the £2 increase) I would use the same 6 numbers that were on my first ticket.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

@Minivanman But that £5 back is £5 more than you would get from the lottery if you never wonWink

Minivanman
Hero

Not that I buy into it given the odds but I suppose there is always the thought that the week you do not play those same numbers..... is the week they came up. Unlikely but......

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's a waste logically, and I wouldn't take part. Hopefully some do it for fun, and provided they don't become addicted or financially precarious, who am I to criticise?

J

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

A logical life, where's the fun in that and when did Spock ever crack a joke? Smiley

When was Spock a real person?Wink

Community Veteran

If you'd bought £100 worth of Amazon shares when they first went public your investment would be worth more than £100,000 now (ignoring share splits).

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

That's way better than a poke in the eye*.

* The value of pokes in the eye can go down as well as up.