The Lancaster

Has just flown over Leighton Buzzard on it's way home  Smiley
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The Lancaster

A spectacular display as usual over Buckingham Palace. Grin
Fixes: 125

Here's a couple (3) of (not very good) photos taken when one flew over Herne Bay in 2003 to mark the 60th anniversary of the 'Dambusters'.
Awe-inspiring stuff Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Some info on the rehearsal for today's flypast:
Flypast
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The route has always been from the Colchester direction roughly along the A12 passing Boreham Airfield,  at approx 12:55.  They have a practice timing run in the week before, along that route,cant remember the day as I left the immediate area 15 years ago, but can just see the flypast from my house - not today though, up North looking at a little boat
Community Veteran

From my post #3:
Aircrews have been rehearsing at RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire for the Queen's official birthday celebrations.

Rehearsal on 9th.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

your BBC article was dated  the 9th but only referred to Lincolnshire, you could be correct that the practice run was  on the Thursday as I think it was on one of our work days at the end of Lunch time
PS my picture was taken this afternoon on the bank of the Tyne at North Shields
Fixes: 47

I love the sound of those engines Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

4 Rolls Royce Merlin V12s  Smiley
When I was a lad, in late 1940s, I used to cycle to Heathrow and one could actually go to the hangers and look round. I remember seeing Avro Lancastrians, the civil version of the Lancaster that were flown by BSAA. There were also Avro Yorks that were developed from Lancaster.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: nadger
4 Rolls Royce Merlin V12s
There were also Avro Yorks that were developed from Lancaster.

Ever flown in one? did so as an ATC cadet from RAF Dishforth. Not an experience you'd forget easily. As well as Hastings, Anson's and Beverley's. And a totally unforgettable Chipmunk flight.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Nope but first time I saw Southend pier was upside down in a Chipmunk out of Rochester. Also flown in Anson out of West Malling. Both with school ATC squadron. I went inside cockpit of Lancastrian at Heathrow - " please can I look inside?" " yes but don't touch anything"
First actual flight was in an Auster, off grass at Cowes IOW, in 1949 when on holiday with friend's family. He and I spent some of our holiday money to pay for it.
How about having sat in an ME109 during the war?  Can't remember the complete story but it had been captured intact and was taken on tour round country.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well, one of my best flying memories was in an Anson out of RAF Leeming. Can't remember how many there were in our party but,  I was sitting opposite the entrance door. The pilot got in (through the same door) ex-RAF wartime pilot complete with leather flying helmet and handlebar moustache. He said "you look lonely there, you can come up the front with me" To the undying jealousy of my ATC squadron friends, I got to fly in the co-pilots seat...unforgettable!! took a week to get the smile off my face.
Mrs P's first ever flight was also in the Isle of Wight  out of Benbridge in a Dragon Rapide, that would have been in the early 70's.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Heloman
Grafter

My first flight was also in a Dragon Rapide, from Lee-on-Solent. I later learned to fly in a Tiger Moth from the grass airfield at Roborough, Plymouth.
The only time I saw Lancasters was in 1944/45.  Lived West of London and it was a most welcome sight seeing squadrons form up to fly South!
More often it was the noise I remember, as they normally carried out night raids.
Earlier the most unwelcome noise we heard at night was from Doodlebugs (V1s)  Angry
nadger
Rising Star

I lived in Greenford, to west of London, and also remember the V1s going over as one waited for the engine to stop.
Northolt was just down road so Spitfires were common site.
Heloman
Grafter

I was in Pinner.
Yep, there was that awful silence after the engine stopped. Where was the explosion going to be?
We were lucky. The nearest was about two miles away.