Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Kiss of Death

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The Kiss of Death

Whatever your views are of taking in more refugees, this pledge by Tim Farron to take in 50,000 more from Syria is going to be the kiss of death for a political party already dying.

Talk about kicking a man when he's down, and one of your own at that. Crazy2

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/11/tim-farron-lib-dems-pledge-uk-take-50000-more-syria...  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: The Kiss of Death

So what happened to " Charity begins at home"...  ?   we can`t even provide homes for our own people,... and yet these politicians are jumping on a bandwagon to show they are "sympathetic" to others less fortunate than themselves.. yet missing those more obvious, yet hidden statistically, our own homeless.

Not saying we shouldn`t help other countries... but  ... ... ... ... by importing more "refugees"  who will need housing, and support, ... we are virtually closing the door on our own homeless, and those same politicians, then say we havent got enough money to provide basic services of shelter to the homeless...

Minivanman
Hero

Missing the point there @shutter if I may say so.

This is not about the rights of wrongs on taking in refugees but the rights, wrongs and the sheer desperation of using such a toxic issue to gain support for an ailing party of tree hugging has been liberal lefties but there again, whilst it would not get my vote their latest wheeze about legalising cannabis just might! Crazy      

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman  No.... I think we are on the same point here....

as I said...

and yet these politicians are jumping on a bandwagon to show they are "sympathetic" to others less fortunate than themselves.

They don`t have a "proper" manifesto, to improve the lot of their constituents.... so they try to prove their worth the pay, and priveliges of being an MP.. by using emotional subjects to gain popularity, .... like..."look,... I`m a nice guy... I want to show you how nice I am by saying we should take in more helpless/homeless refugees from other countries... now if you want a nice guy like me to help other people, then vote for me and my party"...

Yet those same politicians, ignore those of our own, in similar situations, saying they are workshy, and should find a job and home for themselves, instead of being like the "refugees" that they want to import...  ?

No polititcian would ever get elected, if they said... Hi guys... I`m a nice guy... I want to find homes for all our unemployed, homeless people...so please vote for me and my party... and it will all be very nice for everyone... "..

do you see the point now?Huh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

They hoped to Hoover up the 48% who voted remain, that's not going well. Getting desperate now!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Whatever your views are of taking in more refugees, this pledge by Tim Farron to take in 50,000 more from Syria is going to be the kiss of death for a political party already dying.

Talk about kicking a man when he's down, and one of your own at that. Crazy2

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/11/tim-farron-lib-dems-pledge-uk-take-50000-more-syria...  

Cynical thought !..... so 50,000 more refugees.... wonder how many of those will be expected to vote for farron....  would they be classed as "farroners" or "forreners"  ? ? ? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And which party was it that wanted proportional representation ? Well they got that with Britexit but then refused to accept the result.

Most politicians are only interested in getting elected and will tell the gullible what they want to hear and as we near the election we are going to hear more of the type of things mentioned by @shutter & @Minivanman.

Better pensions, no tax increases, scrap university fees, nationalise rail & power companies, there will be no end to promises made.

Fortunately most and mainly older people can see past all the hype as they have heard it all before.

A number of political groups will be finished after this election be interesting to see what if anything takes their place.

Anonymous
N/A

shutter wrote:

as I said...

those same politicians, ignore those of our own, in similar situations,

So just how many of 'our own' have had to flee their homes because of war or famine, or both?

Your ignorance of what it means to be a refugee is almost as staggeringly offensive as your apparent belief that being born in this country somehow makes a person more deserving of some basic human compassion and help.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And your solution is ?

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

Well said @shutter

Beware a prospective MP wearing a Cheshire Cat smile and uttering  "I want to help those less fortunate" platitudes to seek the votes of the unwary, whilst looking forward to the opportunity to benefit from the manipulation of expenses, numerous free meals and the benefits of the vastly subsidised restaurants in the Palace of Westminster. Also looking forward to receiving a fantastic pension after serving only one parlimentary term.

Community Veteran

@notinmyname Your presumptiousness is unbelievable..... Having worked amongst some of the very deprived peoples of the world, during my time in the Royal Navy,... I am well aware of the situation . therefore I find your post both repugnant and ignorant, and very insulting to me personally, and to all the people who I have worked with and for during my life time..

What have you done ?

Homeless is Homeless... regardless of how a person arrives at that situation...    according to the way you have worded your response.... homeless in the UK... is something that the people here have made a choice about... when it is more about circumstances, in the same way of a refugee  because there is no work and no money, for them.... they are just as homeless,

So where is your compassion and help?  apart from trying to score points by insulting people on this forum that  you do not know. ?

Minivanman
Hero

@agedgopher

Like this you mean Smiley

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman

That certainly hits the spot

Anonymous
N/A

@shutter

The Royal Navy? I suppose killing over 300 human beings in a ship travelling away from an exclusion zone of dubious legality is an sign of a humanitarian organisation now, is it?

Minivanman
Hero

Known as a humanitarian war (and yes, there is such a thing) or, a responsibility to protect. That ship was a potential threat and even if it was not it was a lesson taught and that we were not there to hold hands and sing Kumbaya. 

Well done our lads past and present I say.