cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Italian Job

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The Italian Job

Was listening to LBC 97.3 this morning and, presenter Nik Ferrari noted that the classic film "The Italian Job" is celebrating its 30th anniversary soon. He posed the question to phone-in listeners; in the famous end scene with the coach balanced over the edge of a mountain, with the heisted gold at one end and the crew at the other, the gold is sliding further to the rear of the coach, but is balanced by the crew moving further away from it to the front of the coach; Michael Caine speaks the immortal line "listen lads I've got an idea" (or something like that) The crew can't get nearer the gold, as they move towards it the coach threatens to over balance the mountain side. Nik asked; what was his idea? many phoned in with some wonderfully fanciful ideas. What would be your idea?
I reckon, to paraphrase the other famous line from the film...they need to reduce the weight at the rear of the coach; so they should "blow the bloody doors off"
(note to mod; this line has been used in its entirety in all kinds of media at all times of day for 30 years, so I hope it will pass the censor)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
timlake
Grafter

Re: The Italian Job

I love that film and even though it predates me I think its a true classic and regularly break out the DVD for another watch.  Everytime I watch I think of a new thing he might do.
I think he should:
1) Get them all on the roof at the VERY front, maximising the distance from the fulcrum.
2) Use his belt to fasion a hook which he can lasso onto the netting and pull the gold without getting too close to it
3) Fire the stupid bus driver who was flying up the side of a dangerous mountain in a crappy bus with an unusual load!  Accident waiting to happen
Alternatively he should load all the money he has made from that film onto the front of the bus, that'd balance it!
Denzil
Grafter

I have always thought the answer is obvious Smiley. Get one person to get out of the bus and start collecting rocks (plenty of them around) to fill up the front. As the weight builds up more people can get off and join in. When they are happy the bus is stable, they take it in turns to go to the back of the bus and move a gold bar or two forwards. If necessary, as the gold is moved forwards some of the rocks can be thrown off. When enough gold has been moved forwards they either attempt a recovery by finding a suitable vehicle to drag the bus onto the road, or transfer the gold onto another vehicle and abandon the bus to its fate down the cliff.
timlake
Grafter

I always wanted to imagine it was something very dramatic though.  The way he says "I've got a great idea", though I suppose he does follow it with "Err"  Grin
Community Veteran

Just get the camera crew to help counterbalance the gold Wink
B.
Community Veteran

Ah!! LBC 97.3 - a great radio station and Nick Ferrari is one of the best radio presenters.  I always enjoy listening to him and love his style.
Community Veteran

@ denzil, nobody can leave the coach, as the weight loss would over-balance it over the edge.
@ timlake, something  very similar to the belt option you mentioned was suggested by a listener; everybody take off their trousers and belts, fashion a long "rope" and lasso the gold boxes, dragging them forward.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

From a techy point of view, the coach (a Bedford twin front axle, similar to the one used in The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour, and might even be the same one) has a fuel tank situated behind the driver (as most are these days even with rear engines) so they need to switch off the engine (as it was still running) as the fuel is used it will upset the balance!!

Community Veteran

Quote from: Denzil
I have always thought the answer is obvious Smiley. Get one person to get out of the bus and start collecting rocks (plenty of them around) to fill up the front. As the weight builds up more people can get off ...

sounds like one those team building exercises you do when applying to join the military etc etc.  Wink Wink
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
@ denzil, nobody can leave the coach, as the weight loss would over-balance it over the edge.

As I recall, several of them try to move forward, and the bus tilts back but does not fall. This would suggest some tolerance for reducing the weight by one person at the front, as long as all the others move as far as they can to the front.
techguy
Grafter

Alas we'll never know.