cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Human Race Is Almost Over

Steve
Pro

The Human Race Is Almost Over

I came across this article after a website I visit regularly linked me to it.  Makes great weekend viewing. Any thoughts on it?
The Extinction ' Crisis '
It’s frightening but true: Our planet is now in the midst of its sixth mass extinction of plants and animals — the sixth wave of extinctions in the past half-billion years. We’re currently experiencing the worst spate of species die-offs since the loss of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Although extinction is a natural phenomenon, it occurs at a natural “background” rate of about one to five species per year. Scientists estimate we’re now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate, with literally dozens going extinct every day [1]. It could be a scary future indeed, with as many as 30 to 50 percent of all species possibly heading toward extinction by mid-century

In short it means your grandchildren's grandchildren will witness the end of our species

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/biodiversity/elements_of_biodiversity/extinction_crisis/
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: The Human Race Is Almost Over

We're already supposed to be dead as a species anyway from all the nuclear wars and suchlike that have been predicted over the years, but never happened, predictions can say anything they like, doesn't mean they're going to happen though... Grin
Steve
Pro

There is also this from the Guardian. Makes sense don't you think? Humans creating sixth great extinction of animal species, say scientists
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jun/19/humans-creating-sixth-great-extinction-of-animal-...
Community Veteran

Fixes: 47

Quote from: M
The Extinction ' Crisis '

It's a joke.
By that I mean so many people who read it or hear about it today will laugh.
Why?... because it won't happen to them or their kids so the problem does not exist...at all.
Many people don't even know that we are a species of animal and that if the entire animal kingdom goes extinct there'll still be beef burgers in Aldi and we'll still be here to put them on the barbecue.
I'm not a paid up member of the Green Party or the Global Warming lobby but if scientists can navigate a craft to Pluto I for one trust them to be able to predict stuff like this with a fair degree of accuracy.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Well said Strat! The "art" of science and scientists is an unknown to most people.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Doesn`t worry me.....................  we all gotta go sometime.... so I ain`t gonna hang around to see if it comes true...  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: twocvbloke
We're already supposed to be dead as a species anyway from all the nuclear wars and suchlike that have been predicted over the years, but never happened, predictions can say anything they like, doesn't mean they're going to happen though... Grin
But you have to admit that there are more people than ever with crackpot ideas and hate those who do not share their ideas, in the past it was concentration camps, salt mines or whatever was the quickest and often most painful way to get shut of them but now some of these groups do not lack money or determination no matter what the cost so it can only be a matter of time before they get their hands on nuclear weapons.
Hitler was just a few years off doing that, imagine if the war had started several years later say 1942 or 1943 ?
Or if things had gone the wrong way in the Cuba crisis ? Or Russian observers thought what they saw was a rocket attack from America which turned out to be some solar electrical disturbance, fortunately they took a chance and did not react.
Trust me it's only a matter of time, I just hope it's not in my time.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's a big universe with billions of solar systems and probably quite a lot of them supporting life. Somehow I'd doubt we're the only species in space to make a mess of our planet.
I do agree with M Steve though, this planet is taking quite a battering from us and it can't go on for much longer before there is a shift in its ability to provide for us. I suspect in the future at some point populations will have to shrink in order to keep the balance. I dread to think how that will happen though.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I wonder if dinosaurs had this discussion...
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

They recorded a fossil record...

Fixes: 47

I've watched Ice Age 2.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

@7up nature always has a way of putting things back in balance, in 1918 it was Spanish flu, in the 1600's it was plague, in-between those great outbreaks there have been many life taking wars, no doubt there will be more of the same in the coming years (were about due a pandemic) and no doubt there will be much handwringing and great efforts to save every soul, totally bypassing the efforts of the planet to sort things out somewhat, that will then cause yet another megalomaniac to size power somewhere and start another war of attrition with another holocaust well underway by the middle of the centaury.

I would not wish to see anyone die of anything, but I understand that its a numbers game and doubtless I will loose more loved ones to some unforeseen and unpreventable illness more friends to violence , and I also understand that at some point we all must die and there's no point always trying to escape that fact, pretty sure i'll die in the next decade or 3 given my age and my health and it will doubtless be hard for my family to bear that (if there still alive) but death comes to us all and rather than being scared we should be happy having lived a good life where we helped others whenever possible and did our best to live a decent happy life.
as monty python once said, "always look on the bright side of life", no doubt he also believed that no good deed went unpunished but ever cloud has a silver lining  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
as monty python once said, "always look on the bright side of life", no doubt he also believed that no good deed went unpunished but ever cloud has a silver lining  Wink

Erm, it was Eric Idol who wrote & sang that for the film "The life of Brian", Monty Python was the name of the group of daft sods that made us laugh, I thought everyone knew that... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: twocvbloke
I wonder if dinosaurs had this discussion...

Probably.. they had several million years to do so.. which is more than we're ever going to see at this rate  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!